the ultimate tip

richiekelly

Reaction score
i would say dont be afraid to try something different and if you do give it time to work or not as the case may be.

Dave Burr

Reaction score
Don't compare your results with other rivers. Any barbel is worth catching and the time to seek big 'uns will come later if you are so inclined.

Location - obviously.

My main tip however, is attention to detail. Check every item of your rig, if a knot doesn't look quite right then retie it, that sort of thing. A hard fighting barbel will find out any weakness in your gear.

Last, enjoy the ride. Take the good days and the bad and learn a little on each visit.

barbelbuster

Reaction score
Don't compare your results with other rivers. Any barbel is worth catching and the time to seek big 'uns will come later if you are so inclined.

Location - obviously.

My main tip however, is attention to detail. Check every item of your rig, if a knot doesn't look quite right then retie it, that sort of thing. A hard fighting barbel will find out any weakness in your gear.

Last, enjoy the ride. Take the good days and the bad and learn a little on each visit.

Cant argue with that, I am sure we have all lost fish then cursed because we knew we should have double checked something, certainly I have.
Seems like some good responses in this thread.

flightliner

Reaction score
Learn to use both ledgering and float techniques, and, if you see a barbel angler on the opposite side of the river trotting with the float give him the space he needs downstream and dont throw your feeder in his/her swim.

Reaction score
A good tip I picked up from Gary Knowles:

"If you think it then do it"

How many times have you sat there fishing and had an idea, for example, to change hook size, move shots, try a different method or bait, etc, but didn't bother to make the effort?

But what if you had made that change? If only....

nchokie

Reaction score
my biggest tip would be to never be in a rush to release the fish when you're holding it in the margin , if it takes half an hour for it to fully recover then so be it . You owe it to the barbel to take care of it , good luck mate .

Keith M

Reaction score
Travel light and never be in too much of a hurry to cast your bait out. throw some loose feed into 2 or 3 swims where you can see Barbel moving and only when you can see them start to get their heads down confidently over your loose feed should you make your first cast; this could take up to an hour or more sometimes.

If the barbel don't suspect you are there and start to get their heads down then you may catch several but if you spook them too early then you might as well move on.

If the water is coloured then look for Barbel flashing.

richiekelly

Reaction score
you need to obtain golden b******s my son has some but wont tell me where he got them,he had 6 today to 12 plus while i had none

aaron ptolo

Reaction score
Try not so fish to far out,use good strong tackle -make sure you can land the fish easily and one of the most important things always use very sharp hooks!!:)

barbelbuster

Reaction score
Seems like you should ask your son for his best tip !
6 to 12 cant be bad for anybody