the ultimate tip

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Location, location, location!

I'm no barbel expert, but I do know, "find them, then fish for them".

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Be sure there are barbel in or near your swim, in other words location.

And join the Barbel Society, there you will get many more tips on how to catch them now you know they are there!

All the very best,

Steve.

preston96

Reaction score
Fish in extra water....warmer than what was in the river prior to it coming!

quickcedo

Reaction score
Take the minimum amount of gear. (that way you'll be more inclined to move) and move again!

colin jones

Reaction score
Be sure there are barbel in or near your swim, in other words location.

And join the Barbel Society, there you will get many more tips on how to catch them now you know they are there!

All the very best,

Steve.

Steve,am i right in thinking that you are the head of the bs?

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Hi Colin,

I'm Chairman and was instrumental in setting up the organisation.

Pete Reading is Secretary and we have an excellent management team and membership.

I don't regard myself as the head, just part of the team.

All the best,

Steve.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Make sure you engage bait runner or have clutch set,so you dont lose your rod on impact.
Enjoy the river more than anything.

richiekelly

Reaction score
the best tip that i can give you when fishing for barbel (or anything else) is not to fish the swims that i have been fishing as i have been doing c**p

barbel basher

Reaction score
When fishing up against far bank willows or snags in general keep rod low and too a side when first hook a fish this will make it kite sideways instead of straight back into roots etc also fishing rod facing at an angle downstream paying out a loop of line instead of having it tight and direct will stop fish running straight back into roots on the take as hooked fish takes a few seconds to decide what to do giving you chance to get control ?

Reaction score
When you locate a shoal in a small pool on a small river try fishing upstream (for drop-backs); it is possible to catch virtually every fish in the pool using this method because the rest don't spook.

My best result this season with this technique was eight barbel (to 10lb 2oz, including a 9lb 4oz and a couple of 8's) and 3 chub to just over 5lb from a pool less than 9ft square on the Teme in under 3 hours in bright sunlight in mid-summer.

Here's the 10lb 2oz...

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/members/****y-angling-trust-pac--albums-river-magic-picture2010-teme-10lb-2oz-june-2010.jpg

As you look at the water behind me, it is a 2ft shelf to well beyond mid-river then on the very far bank is a thin 4-5ft channel below a tiny and not obvious pool below a rapids/snag (you can see part of the snag on the right, the branch over the water).

Last edited:

barbelbuster

Reaction score
My tips. Think about what you are doing, study the river i.e flows, depths, bottom type etc.
Whatever you take with you include a bucket load of patience !