Nearest Barbel Run?

L

little Stu!

Dear All, I'd love to have a stab at Barbel fishing, would anyone happen to know where the nearest barbel run to Crowborough, East Sussex?

any help or guideance would be great!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

The Rother about 10 minutes from you.

B

Bully

Rother ? Didn't know that had barbel WoL. What about the Medway, Fordcombe, about 20 mins from the office.

S

Steve King

Never tried there myself (yet!) but there's also the Teise, you can fish it on a day ticket from Frant Lakes.

B

Bully

You serious Steve? Frant, I always hear the banjo in my mind playing the tune from the Deliverance, when I think of Frant!!

Must have a reckie big man??

S

Steve King

Serious indeed Bully, apparently the barbel population in the Teise is on the increase.... or so I'm told!

Deliverance?! didn't think it was quite so bad myself when I've fished the lakes at Frant ?(???)?

B

BLAM

The "upper" Medway at Ashurst through Fordcombe to Pensurst and below contains a reasonable head of barbel. Controlling clubs are Royal Tunbridge Wells, Penshurst and Bromley.

South of you there is the Sussex Ouse that contains barbel as well above Lewes at Barcombe Mills and above. Controlling clubs include Isfield and Ouse Angling Preservation Society.

B

BLAM

AFAIK there are no day tickets for the Upper Medway but I think you can get day tickets for the Ouse from local tackle shops.

Nigel Gray

Reaction score
Don't ignore the Uck below the Industrial Estate. We were starting to winkle a few out to around 6lb before I moved down to Dorset.

B

Big Rik

Barcombe Mill if you want doubles.
Uckfield to Lewes Rd, you'll see it signposted on the right.

B

BLAM

Ouse Angling Preservation Society (OAPS!) offer Barcombe Mill day tickets for ?7 or half season permits (from Nov 1st) for ?30 available from:

The Anchor Inn Barcombe Mills
Barcombe Post Office High Street, Barcombe (Post Office hours only)
Black Rock Bait 4 The Broadway, Whitehawk Road, Brighton
Sporting Chance 2, Sheffield House, Boltro Road, Haywards Heath
Lagoon Bait & Tackle 327, Kingsway, Hove
Percy's 9, Cliffe High Street, Lewes
Polegate Angling Centre 101, Station Road, Polegate
Uckfield Angling Centre 212a, High Street, Uckfield
World's End Angling Centre 1 Valebridge Road, Burgess Hill