A.T. today

T

Tony Rocca

The Angling Times carries a feature today on barbel, page 5, by Steve Stone.

In it Steve says that fishing on the 27 pegs below Hazelford weir is available on a day ticket bought on the bank.

This bit of water as many of you will know, and are sick of hearing, is controled by the HPS and there are no day tickets available.

We have spoken to Steve at the A.T. and he says that the information was provided to him by Bob Roberts last week.

So Bob, you think its ok to mislead the angling public through the national press just to try and inconvenience the HPS members a bit do you? How cheap is that? Its Joe public angler that will be put out you fool.

Didnt want any FM members to make a wasted trip so though I had better bring it to your attention.

Silly old Bobby.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I though the next episode of "Hazleford - A Story of Simple Fisher Folk" was overdue.

Tony, in the interests of fairness, wouldn't the 5th paragraph have been better addressed to Bob personally with perhaps a request that he confirm what he did tell the AT before you went public?

T

Tony Rocca

Nigel,
Thought it was it says "so Bob".
No need to ask Bob, the horses mouth has no need to lie.

Tony.

N

NottmDon

Also in the weeklies about a 14 plus from Stoke Bardolph. Apparently "caught after midnight" this stretch of water is controlled by Notts Federation of Anglers fishable on a day ticket or by posession of year book, one of the rules in the yearbook "NO NIGHT FISHING" ooooops :)

B

Big Swordsy :O)

Night fishin' we do not night fish!

It just happened to be a very dark day and as it happens 7am is after midnight!

They are my excuses and I am sticking to them!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Someone has just let me know that Bob is away somewhere, so in fairness I think further comment on the AT/HPS issue is best left until he returns and has the chance to reply.

B

Big Swordsy :O)

Yes and in fairness it was most probably just an honest slip of the tongue.

Where's my coat?

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
I have just posted this comment on the Bullsh, sorry, Barbel Society site in response to a similar thread started by Tony:

For the record, I specifically said that the 27 pegs at the top end of Fiskerton were NOT day ticket.

Normally I would not have bothered mentioning this fact when promoting day ticket specific stretches on the Trent but felt that with all the fuss you've made recently it would be a good idea to point it out.

Obviously the reporter who phoned me either misheard what I said or got the wrong end of the stick.

Tony, I'd happily send you on a wild goose chase down the path to Hades at the drop of a hat. I'll cheerfully call you from a pig to a dog but I have no wish to deliberately mislead the average angler out there who might be looking to catch his first Trent barbel.

In this instance it is a genuine mistake on the part of a third party and I expect you to accept that.

Topic closed.

T

Tony Rocca

Ha, blame the reporter do you. A.T say not the case.

Not a mention of the 85 pegs where you can fish on a day ticket, funny that.

And why, pray tell, would you do the HPS a favour by pointing out that there are no day tickets on those 27 pegs. I think not.
Or would you like me to paste and copy your mail to me where you said you would encorage as many poachers down there as possible.

Dont be so naive Lee, your not usually.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Topic closed
I thought not - I can sense this turning into another Tony & Bob show.
Over to you now Bob for a come back!

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
I really do not wish to make a big issue out of this but let me state clearly here that I am VERY sure of my facts.

I think we may see a surprising retraction from Mr Rocca in the very near future...

After which we'll let sleeping dogs lie. I have no wish to rub salt in open wounds.

T

Tony Rocca

No surprising reaction from me Bob, and if I did have an open wound you would like nothing better than to rub salt in it, as the good folks on FM know full well.

Im told A.T. are to use someone else for their Trent info in future and they are to correct the error in next weeks issue, so thats fine.

Thats all from me on this, unless someone wants to carry it on for the sake of a good row and not much else.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
I doubt we'll ever see a retraction (or Reaction Tony) from either Tony or Bob.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
It's not for me to make up other people's minds on what they think of Tony Rocca.

However, having given Tony an opportunity to retract his position both privately and on this forum, something he will not do, I have little option but to reveal the true facts.

Steve Stone from the Angling Times rang me this afternoon and accepted the mix-up was his and that the notes he took during our conversation show that I did in fact make specific reference to the top 27 pegs at Fiskerton being syndicated and not available on day tickets.

At no time did a say or did I attempt to suggest that the 27 pegs in question were available to day ticket anglers.

The Times will run an apology next week though I would prefer they didn't as this is a nothing issue that some individuals sought to wind-up out of all proportion for nothing more than malice.

Those who were so quick in their attempts to stir up trouble, including Paul Owens, the Barbel Society Secretary, could easily have emailed me or picked up the phone and asked for my side of the story. That they didn't. That they simply ran amok spouting bile on various web forums says little about me but much about them.

I do hope this brings an end to a rather unsavoury matter.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Tony, when I said "personally", I meant via personal e-mail or phone call to get Bob's version of events not a question addressed to Bob on a public forum.

Now Bob has clarified the issue it would appear the matter is settled.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Let's hope so for goodness sake.

And let's all get back to angling discourse and having a bit of fun.

T

Tony Rocca

Dear viewers, ask yourself this:

Would a man who said this................

"you deserve every poacher I will encourage in the future".

Then do this.......................

"I did in fact make specific reference to the top 27 pegs at Fiskerton being syndicated and not available on day tickets".

Make your own mind up folks.