Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi guys,

am new to the barbel forum so dont be too harsh..
    Basically, I wanna catch me one. there is only one spot on my stretch of river where I know there are some, some double figures too. I would like to ask maybe a few Q's on whats the best way..

The location is a Big wier pool, very fast flowing over the sill, shallows up after maybe 30 feet where upon it takes a right angle to the right, where upon it shallows to maybe 2 or 3 feet. The water is fast and very clear, with a gravelly bottom on the 3 foot deep part. I dont know if its still gravel in the pool itself, but I know (from expensive experiance) that it is snaggy..

some advice would be helpful if its cool ?

whats the best time of year for them would you suggest ? Bait ? Tactics ?(I would imagine like carp.. sorry guys)

any help would be great guys.. thanks alot in advance.

Matt

Matty, have a read of this, it may help to start with.

Any time of year for barbel but much better if the water temperature is higher than 44 deg F. Best in summer and autumn though.

Graham are we getting abdent minded ;o)

click here

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one) Guest

abdent???

:-)

EC Guest

Yeah Abdent, its a new kind of denture cleaner!

Take a look!

Really clean.

Nigel Moors. Guest

Yuk!!

cheers G,

very helpful article. has made me very tempted to give it a go.

however, I still have one more Q..

There are Alot of crays on my river.. they have already started being a pain in the ass again, still pulling some out with eggs still on them.. Theyre obviously going to get worse in the warmer months of the year, so nailing something on the bottom intended for barbel has a good chance of being pounced on by crays, before the barbel get there..

My Q is this, are the crays less likely to be in the wier pool because of the fast turbulent water, or will they still be as much of a pain.. If they are there, should I go with hard baits like pellets on a hair for exactly, rather than soft luncheon meat.. ?

Thanks again for the article..

Matt

by the way eddie.. that picture is just wrong.. lol

Ok i am not the best typer in the country. The crays will be everywhere. Try a boillie with one of them shrink wrap coatings. Not sure where you will get them dont have the crays up in lancashire.

cheers for the suggestion Bryan.. one problem though..

excuse my ignorance in not knowing how to do shrink wrap coatings.. any pointers perhaps ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast