Okuma Sheffield

John Wood 2

Reaction score
Has anyone had a try with the Okuma Sheffield Centrepin?

It looks good, but are looks deceiving?

Stalker Jas

Reaction score
I looked at this the other day John and was very impressed by its spinning action, looked like a reel twice its value, like you I'd like to get some reviews from users. Cheers, Jason

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
its a tarted up version of the okuma aventa pro (bronze)(i now have two pro versions)they are very smooth free running reels and a pleasure to cast with they have a low inertia (easy to start to spin) the line peels of effortlessly and are very lightweight and a joy to use all day long,and the sheffield is no different.

John Wood 2

Reaction score
I just won an auction for an Okuma Sheffield on Ebay for ?92. I'll let you all know what I think when it arrives!

John Wood 2

Reaction score
The reel arrived yesterday, and all I can say is WOW! sheer quality, easily on a par with Youngs Purists, and half the price!

And more importantly its a nice bright silver colour!

Daniel Matley

Reaction score
John.............I bought one for myself at Christmas and have used it a number of time this winter. All I can say is you won't be disappointed, they are superb.

John Wood 2

Reaction score
Can anyone advise on a decent line to pair it with - I want to trot for chub and grayling.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

John,

Drennan Float Fish in 3.2 should suffice with suitable hooklengths.You might go up to 4.4 for the chub in weedy conditions.

I use Reflo Powerline for all my hooklengths and it is superb stuff.Low diameter but resiliant too.

Shame you will have to wait until next season to test it on the rivers but I'd bet it would be good for close in tenching and carping too.

chavender

Reaction score
8lb or 10lb power pro braid with a mono hooklink,its what i've been using on one of my aventa pro's line pick up at distance is great as is setting the hook my casting needed some practice to get used too the braid but the low dia great and it floats a treat.i only have 50m on my reel with a few turns of fine mono used as backing as braid as a tendacy to slip around on the spool where as mono binds on so i wind on just enough to cover the drum face then tie on the braid and spool on 50m then tie a loop in the end (for the use of pre-tied hooklinks [hooks to nylon] with a loop 2 loop connection)

John Wood 2

Reaction score
Thanks Chavender - I like the idea of using braid - why didn't I think of it?! Do you bump many fish off due to the lack of stretch?

chavender

Reaction score
no as i use a mono hooklink and pull into the fish as a heavy strike isn't needed just a gently smooth strike is all thats needed,your always going to bump one or two untill you find the right strength of stike to suite you,i try to strike with the whole rod length raver than the tip (simpler to do than describe)it helps not to have too stiff a rod rather than a tippy rod you want a fast action or one thats got softish mid to tip action which will act as a cushion

G

Geoff Cowen

Had a look at one in the tackle shop the other day. It's a lovely bit of kit - another thing to add to my must have list!

chavender

Reaction score
you could do what i did and fill in a reel part request form online HERE at the svendsen-sports web page (they supply the reels)

but i'am still waiting for a reply ?.i've waited so long ,i've braught another reel ! (got another aventa pro cheap ).there is a number to ring on there which might be faster !.(i only wanted two facia plates ? ).

S

Sean Meeghan

Strange that Chavender (or may I call you Chav?). I ordered some parts from the web site and they came within a few days - have you had an e-mail acknowledgement?

The nice thing about Svendsen is that the spares seem to be supplied free of charge which I find amazing coming from the Engineering industry.

chavender

Reaction score
i'll have to try again i suppose,i actually got the to get a second aventa pro for ?50 so i didn't bother chasing up the request,but i'd still like two front facia plates so i could turn my aventa's into sheffield esk reels (i like the multi holed front facia plate)

John Wood 2

Reaction score
Svendsen replied to my question - apparently they won'yt be releasing any spare spool until around August, at around ?60.

As I don't want to wait that long. does anyone know if the Aventa Pro spool will fit my Sheffield frame?

John Wood 2

Reaction score
Bought som 8lb power pro braid from Ebay - ?8. Loaded it onto the reel this morning and as Chavender says, its very thin (1lb mono diameter).

great advice - thanks

G

Gary Knowles

Nigel - got to agree, Reflo Powerline is a superb hooklink..