Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okuma Sheffield

Has anyone had a try with the Okuma Sheffield Centrepin?

It looks good, but are looks deceiving?

I looked at this the other day John and was very impressed by its spinning action, looked like a reel twice its value, like you I'd like to get some reviews from users. Cheers, Jason

Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The universe
    Blog Entries

its a tarted up version of the okuma aventa pro (bronze)(i now have two pro versions)they are very smooth free running reels and a pleasure to cast with they have a low inertia (easy to start to spin) the line peels of effortlessly and are very lightweight and a joy to use all day long,and the sheffield is no different.
    Chavender Floats
    I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

I just won an auction for an Okuma Sheffield on Ebay for 92. I'll let you all know what I think when it arrives!

The reel arrived yesterday, and all I can say is WOW! sheer quality, easily on a par with Youngs Purists, and half the price!

And more importantly its a nice bright silver colour!

John.............I bought one for myself at Christmas and have used it a number of time this winter. All I can say is you won't be disappointed, they are superb.

Can anyone advise on a decent line to pair it with - I want to trot for chub and grayling.

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA) Guest

John,

Drennan Float Fish in 3.2 should suffice with suitable hooklengths.You might go up to 4.4 for the chub in weedy conditions.

I use Reflo Powerline for all my hooklengths and it is superb stuff.Low diameter but resiliant too.

Shame you will have to wait until next season to test it on the rivers but I'd bet it would be good for close in tenching and carping too.

Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The universe
    Blog Entries

8lb or 10lb power pro braid with a mono hooklink,its what i've been using on one of my aventa pro's line pick up at distance is great as is setting the hook my casting needed some practice to get used too the braid but the low dia great and it floats a treat.i only have 50m on my reel with a few turns of fine mono used as backing as braid as a tendacy to slip around on the spool where as mono binds on so i wind on just enough to cover the drum face then tie on the braid and spool on 50m then tie a loop in the end (for the use of pre-tied hooklinks [hooks to nylon] with a loop 2 loop connection)
    Chavender Floats
    I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

10. Default

Thanks Chavender - I like the idea of using braid - why didn't I think of it?! Do you bump many fish off due to the lack of stretch?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast