Just how strong are those Barbel?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

By the way Brummie, Old **** Walker reckoned that the Twaite Shad was the hardest fighting British species on a size for size basis.

J

jonathan warrener

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned grayling.
Maybe not number one but pound for pound I'd certainly put them up with a lot of the other species mentioned - especially in the depths of winter when most other fish are very sluggish.

Can you imagine what a 10 pounder would fight like?

Matty C

Reaction score
I dont really know what the hardest fighting fish is.. I think one thing that alot of people seem to have over looked on here, is the gear we use to catch them..

Alot of barbel anglers use I would imagine, something like 1.75lb TC, or something similar, where as carp anglers use 2, 2.5, going up to 3.5lb TC rods.. Chub anglers might use a float rod, perch anglers might use a very soft quiver tip..

I know that a perch is no match for a carp, but perch fight hard on light gear, as do chub.. Im sure if you played most barbel on 2.75 rods, they would comein a little easier than if you did it on 1.75 rods..
pound for pound is a good measurement to go by when judging fish, but I think the gear has alot to do with it too..

Although Ive not masses of experiance, n Ive not caught masses of carp, and have never caught a barbel or catfish or anything like that.. I have caught plenty of big perch, nearly 2 dozen over 2lbs, and 3 differant 3lb'ers all on soft quiver tips, with 4lb line straight through, and they all faught hard.. as have all the chub Ive caught, again a soft float rod with 4lb line..

Theres alot of strong fish out there.. I dont know which fights the strongest, but I know which ones I enjoy catching..

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Matty,

It surprises me that you have never caught a barbel. They are one of the most common river fish of all and not the most difficult to catch.

I live within a 50 mile radius of some of the most heavily stocked barbel rivers in the country. Let me see if I can name them. The Yorkshire Don, The Rother, The Dearne, The Trent, The Idle, and The Derbyshire Derwent.

A little further afield is the Aire, Wharfe, Swale, Yorkshire Ouse and Yorkshire Derwent. I've had barbel from them all.

Matty C

Reaction score
I live in guildford, surrey Ron..

My local river is the river Wey, which does hold barbel in some stretches not too far from me.. but I have no transport of my own, so fishing further a field is very difficalt. There is also the river mole relatively close to me, and the river bourne, but again, I would need transport somehow.. This is the main reason I have no caught one, yet ! As I said, There is a big wier pool the holds atleast 1 or 2 decent ones.. Although it is very deep in the pool, and Full of snags, Im going to give it a bash in the new season n see what happens..

Lewis Duffy

Reaction score
The Barbel in the ribble (my locl) are cery hardfighting but there again the chub arent far behind.