barbel in ponds/lakes

J

Jeff Woodhouse

Just wait to you hook one of those secretly stocked ones at Clattercote!

Don't half give the rod a bang!

T

Tomo(B.A'S)

ive never had a barbel.
been told there in a day ticket water and i wanna catch one is it a crime????????

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
No not a crime in terms of the legality of it. Did you read the other thread Tomo?

I am not going to get involved in another argument about it and I'm sure most people here don't want to either as it's been done to death last year and the year before and so on...

All I will say is there are two camps one who say barbel should not be stocked in stillwater as they are river fish evolved to live in flowing water and don't seem to spawn in stillwaters therefore it is wrong to stock them there.

The others say it's ok.

Make up your own mind.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Go and catch one Tommo then when June 16th arrives go and catch one in its natural home. No comparison the river fish win every time.

I am for them being in the rivers only. I think commercials play around far to much with stocking fish with no real knowladge of there ability to survive and breed.

L

Laurie Harper

Oooer. Could it be time for a sweep on the length of this thread? Or is it too early to say?

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear Laurie,

Far too early methinks. Come June time it will be way over its mark don't you think?

Regards,

Lee.

T

Tomo(B.A'S)

thanks paul.
me thinks that ill wait till june 16th ,
the day ticket water i was on about is a rip off anyway.
like you said i would rather catch 'em in there own enviroment.

Paul Hayes

Reaction score
I've got a great idea lets have another debate on barbel in still waters. It helps the close season go quickly and gets folk arguing.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I fully agree that Barbus species should be in stillwater.

I used to fish a number of large reservoirs that were fed by rivers where these fish bred. They then moved back to still water where they reached weights well in excess of 40 lbs.

This were the species Barbus Kimberleyensis and Barbus holubi. Very closely related to our native barbel.

If they ever created a huge reservoir on the lower Thames with a 3 mile long dam wall at Dartford, it would create a huge lake which would flood the Thames Valley all the way to Reading. The barbel would grow massive and the water supply crisis in the South East would be sorted.

L

Laurie Harper

I'll buy that, Ron. I live up near Highgate. I reckon the shores of the lake should be down by the Archway roundabout. I could wander half a mile down the road and fish where I presently queue for the bus to work. Sorted.

C

Chris Pearson

Ron or Beecy,
I was talking to an old guy in the pub last night he was telling me about a secret private pond near Sheffield called Carlton(?)which is full of barbel around the 8lb mark,have you or anyone else heard of it.
He also fishes the Derwent with a Sheffield club called the Waltonians(?)anyone know any details of them?