Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: pellets

does anybody know how to avoid pellets from splitting in two when drilling them,i have been using dynamite baits 14mm marine halibut ones.are there other makes that dont split as easy?

EC Guest

I have used the 11mm betains and 18mm halibuts from ccmoores and they both sometimes split Richard.

I think sometimes the way that I drill makes a difference, if I rush the procedure I think the hole can be a little wider and they split.

That said, other factors I think also make a difference such as how old the pellets are and if they have been frozen, glugged etc but, I havent quite sussed out what exactly makes a difference, as yet.

I tend to drill a load at once and put these in a separate container so as I always have drilled hookbaits to hand.

Dave Burr Guest

The pellets tend to split if they are dry either through being old or of poor quality, good, fresh, oily pellets will drill easlily and attract more fish.

Phil Heaton Guest

Try drilling them with a rechargable electric screwdiver and a small pilot drill bit. Because the drill is doing the work it easier to hold everything steady and not flex the drill bit, reducing breakages.

Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
    Blog Entries

Also remove the bait drill every few turns and unclog the grooves, this does help. Other than that slowly and carefully wins or use bait bands.
    I believe in reintarnation - I'll come back to life as a hillbilly.

Also drilling fom the sides as opposed to the ends also helps stop splitting. As Phil says i use a dremmel the speed also helps. Do a tub while watching telly. In a hour you will have enough for the whole season.

Sean Meeghan Guest

I don't bother drilling them I just use a pellet band. You can attach one to your hair (not the stuff on the top of your head!) or just band the pellet on to the hook.

EC Guest

You can also get pellets pre drilled now as well Richard.

Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
    Blog Entries

Here's a thing Sean, I use pellet bands, or rather I've tried them. The pellet stays on ok but how can you prevent it from moving round the shank and possibly obscuring the point?
    I believe in reintarnation - I'll come back to life as a hillbilly.

Sean Meeghan Guest

It doesn't in my experience Paul. I use a 3mm band on an 8mm pellet and it generally stays on the shank of the hook. It does tend to slide down on to the bend as the pellet softens or if you cast it a fair distance (most of my Barbel fishing is done at short range). I've used Pellet a fair bit over the last 5 years and I can't remember an occasion where I missed a take on one.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast