Biggest Brace of Barbel

L

Lee Swords (The new and improved)Satans little he

What was the top brace I havent seen it yet?

And what is the top Trent brace?

Never have been much for lists.

Ginger

Reaction score
Steve,were these fish from the Ouse?
The list produced in Coarse Fisherman just seemed to indicate that the Ouse holds more specimen Barbel than any other river.
I would have expected entries from a lot more of our " Famous " rivers.

Steve Pope 2

Reaction score
They were from the Ouse, I suppose in terms of numbers of fish over fifteen pounds at the start of the season it's still the number one river. But others are catching up fast and perhaps we'll see a fish approaching twenty from somewhere else. If the Thames fish shows again it could be close, the Wensum also and as Lee has always said no one would be really surprised if a fully authenticated monster came out of the Trent. But the real secret is to look at smaller river venues with a low density of barbel.

Ginger

Reaction score
Lee, the biggest brace was 33-15 1/2 from the Ouse in Oct 2001 (Steve Curtin ).
The top 19 entries are all 30lb and above,and in the top 33 some guys have up to 4 entries,fantastic fishing and alot of hard work i bet.

L

Phew! makes my entry look pale in comparrison LOL!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I had a Brace of fish 13lb 7oz and 12lb 14oz from the Ouse back in 1994/95.

L

I can't wait to get back on the rivers!

Ginger

Reaction score
I`ve only had one double figure Barbel ( exactly 10lb )you guy`s make it sound easy.I must be going wrong somewhere,still it`s great fun trying.

L

It isnt easy if the fish are not there!

Take heart that if the average fish where you are fishing is 6lb then your 10lber is a big old lump of a fish!

It took me a few years to get a double, then I changed my methods and now I expect several a season.

L

BUT

They are there!

I cannot catch what isn't!

L

My right arm ached like a good un the next day after draggin/pushing the thing!

J

john conway

Just a few thoughts on the distribution of large Barbel.
Ignoring genetics, and assuming that Barbel do live 25 years, then one of the 1st parameters must be the river should have a good history such that Barbel have been there long enough to have colonised the river and there are enough fish reaching old age on a regular basis. I would also expect Spey River Barbel to be smaller then their slow to medium river cousins. Then we have availability of food, the quality, quantity and length of time which it is available i.e. long summers short winters etc and or how much bait is going in. Then it?s competition from other fish, this may be due to a few bad years spawning, combinations of poor winters and summers etc etc. I?d be looking at gaps in the age class of fish in the river.
So unless global warming kicks in sooner than it is doing, it?s going to be some time before our northern rivers can compete with those in the south. But that?s not to say that the ratio of big Barbel won?t in the near future be a bit more evenly distributed than it is now.
From a statistical analysis point, how many of the top fish are repeat catches of the same fish. If you are counting fish distribution then you can?t count the same fish twice.

Ginger

Reaction score
John, surely the Severn and Hampshire Avon fall into categories,yet neither had an entry in the top 33 list.

J

john conway

They should do if they have the same history, i.e. Barbel are not indigenous to rivers on the West Side of the country. So I?m not sure when or where Barbel were introduced. Is the Seven a Spay River, the geography is certainly different form the Ouse?
From a statistical point of view I?d like to see how many records the table was extrapolated from.
Another consideration; are big rivers with relatively few anglers, loading high quantities of high protein baits, opposed to smaller rivers with loads of anglers loading up the river with high protein baits, a reason for high growth rates?
What I?m probably driving at is, there are many reasons or conditions that lead to big Barbel and maybe the Ouse, at this moment in time, has all the right boxes ticked.
I suppose I should have read the article before I offered any comments?

castapprentice

Reaction score
These anglers on the Ouse, Adams mill use a pole to drop the rig in the exact spot where the barbel patrol, then sit and wait...wheres the skill in that?...its like using a bait boat to carry your rig out on a lake..
I respect a proper angler catching a big fish from the Thames...thats real fishing.Also what a joke it is the same old fish being caught over and over again for the record, Traveller or what ever the name is ?