Biggest Brace of Barbel

E

Eric Hayes

Yoggy, Re: Ribchest Anglers catch report.

Being a member of said club I can confirm that on one of their stretches you do have to fill in a catch report when you leave the fishery (btw it's at the behest of the land owner). I and most people I know that fish the stretch just report a blank for obvious reasons but I can think of one or two people who would be falling over them selves to fill the report with their massive catches.

At the back end of last season some Plank had reported an 11lb Barbel and numerous Chub. It just makes you wonder what colour the sky is on the planet they live on.

Ginger

Reaction score
John,it`s not so much an article more of an update of a listing of 3 years ago.I haven`t seen the original listing so i can`t say how much it`s changed.What grabbed my attention was the number of entries from the Ouse in the top 33.It seems to blow away all other rivers,it would be nice to know how many entries it had in the list of 3 years ago.Anyone Know?

Ginger

Reaction score
Eric,do you know why this has been introduced, is it for the land owner`s benefit,so that when the lease is up for renewal the price can go up or even offered to other clubs.( Like what happened with Clitheroe )?
Or is that just my suspicious mind.

E

Eric Hayes

Ginger I'm not to sure but I would guess he has done it so he can show the reports to interested parties then get them bidding against one another. It?s not paranoia, it?s hightend awareness :eek:)

On the report you don't just fill in your catch when your leaving you also put down the date and your car registration when you enter the fishery also club membership number. He says it's because his wife feels uncomfortable at all the comings and goings (yea right) but why does his wife want to know what people are catching.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

"These anglers on the Ouse, Adams mill use a pole to drop the rig in the exact spot where the barbel patrol, then sit and wait...wheres the skill in that?...its like using a bait boat to carry your rig out on a lake.."

Woooooooooo

Just taking one of many occasions at Adams. Most fish i had back in the 90s were caught around 3 feet out, crystal clear water of around 10 inches deep after crounching over for nearly an hour watching their movements and intercepting the route. Again most times i actually watched em pick up the bait. I was that close i could see the barbules working the river bed.

In all the times i fished Adams i never once saw a person use a pole.

Is this a green eyed monster thing?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

"Using a pole to put your rig in the right spot".

That's giving me ideas Wol.

Ginger

Reaction score
Warren,i believe Grahame King wrote an article about the capture of his record Barbel in which he says he used a pole to position his rig.If thats the best way to get your bait in the right area i don`t see anything wrong with that.
Results speak for themselves.

E

Eric Hayes

Ron it will save all that messing about chuckin fluff. wait for a rise then just ship out your fly in a pole pot and dump it on the fishes head.

castapprentice

Reaction score
Using a pole to cast, no nothing wrong with it, but no skill either, Anglers like Ray Walton use proper angling skills to catch big fish.

Y

yoggy

Eric,Hello mate is your Bruv still as mental!!!! ;-) It sounds like that the landowner is up to no good mate.I mean,why on earth would he stipulate this??.You dont have to be a rocket scientist to fathom out the reason!!!

I hope to get to the Ribble this year...is that offer of yours still on!!!??

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

And I like to use proper angling skills too.

I do own a pole, and often, when I use it I feel guilty because some of the basic skills, and more so - morals of angling are being comprimised.

I think that's why so many anglers do use poles - for the simplicity. Lets face it, it doesn't take a tremendous amount of skill once you get the hang of it.

Casting a fly by the way comes easy to me. Getting 30 yards with two false casts is a doddle Eric.

Can you do it?

E

Eric Hayes

Yoggy, he gets worse with age mate. I think we are going carping this weekend.

If you?re coming up for the Ribble fish-in let me know and I?ll guest you on one of the stretches. I can?t guarantee you any Barbel but I'll put you on a swim.

Ron, I don`t do false casts all mine are the real thing :p

Y

yoggy

Eric,Cheers pal,i`m going to do my best in attending the "fish-in".Although i`ve used all my spare days at work.Probably a "sicky" is on the horizon!!!.

Y

yoggy

Eric,save me looking through all the previous threads when are the dates for the Ribble "fish-in"?

Thanks mate.

J

john conway

Hi yoggy, I/we normally organise them, one in December and one in late Feb or early March. Although they are basically chub fish-ins quite a few double fig Barbs have been taken if the weathers been OK. Look forward to seeing you.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Was at the yourkshire meeting of the BS yesterday. Guest were Tony Miles and Tref West. The discussion got on to the big barbel at Adams Mill and why they are so much bigger. Tony recons the main reason is the amount of natural food there. he says the water shrimps literally carpet the floor.

The discussion also went onto the length of time a barbel lives. The general concensus in the room was 25-30 years but Tref as documented proof of barbel living in the region of 45+ years working on a assumption that a barbel takes around 12 years to get to double figures.

Thought this info might be usefull to a few of you.

Y

yoggy

John,thankyou mate.Will you be posting on the forum nearer the time to give the exact dates?.Only i have to book my days off from work at least 3 weeks in advance. Cheers

J

john conway

yoggy, no reason why we can't give 4 or 5 weeks notice. Probably Sat 9th or 16th Dec. Reason being there'll be no moon at dusk and if the river is running low and clear or it's a bright sunny day at least we will be in with shout for a few hours at dusk before we hit the pub. I'd certainly take Eric up on his offer he knows what he's doing on the Ribble.