Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi guys

Has anyone fished the upper Avon around Salisbury (the LAA sections)?

I am spending a few days up there around the start of July, and i am planning on targeting the barbel.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Marcus

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA) Guest

Marcus,

You are referring to the Britford stretch just downstream of Salisbury.

There are Barbel in the stretch but are far from plentiful even by Hants Avon standards.

The stretch comprises of the old river which is varied in depth and flow and probably looks more barbelly, and the new river which is a former navigable strech and is therefore more uniform in pace and depth.It is also quite weedy in summer and is more noted in winter for its roach.

I do not know anyone who targets barbel but that does not mean they are not there.I did speak to a captor of a 12 from the new river the winter before last.

I would say that your chances of barbel from the stretch are quite remote unless you can locate them by sight.They are not numerous enough to drop into a peg and fish blind.If you can travel you might be best served by heading down the A338 to Ringwood and fish the Severals or Lifelands where the fish are more widespread albeit less so than in the past.

The man to speak to is the bailiff Stuart who is very helpful.I will PM you his number and you can give him a ring.

Agree with above - speak to Stuart, he will put you on them. In July there is a good chance that the barbel in the main carrier at Britford will still be in the wierpool, upstream of the car park, having been up to spawn. After this they spread out, but some hold up in the relatvely narrow, shaded section downstream of the big house, where there are two big Yew trees on the far bank. Good luck.

Thanks lads

Marcus

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA) Guest

Marcus,

If you go on the Barbel Fishing World website and look at the picture of the Hants Avon on the home page that is the big house Stuart describes.The yew trees are opposite where the picture was taken from.

Its a mouthwatering picture isn't it?If my numbers come up that's where I will retire to and I don't care what it costs!

Blog Entries

I would agree with Nigel on the chances of catching a Barbel on Britford, few and very far between to the point where the locals don't bother.

On the Severals or Lifelands you would stand a much better chance to be honest, and in between you have a couple of syndicate waters being the Hale and the Longford Estate but you would need a guest ticket.

You mentioned July as being a possible time so I would not recommend the Royalty either because at that time of the year you need a Grand Prix start from Davis' Tackle shop or you won't get a swim.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Worth checking The Several fishery is available on day ticket; it doesn't open till 1st July (try calling Ringwood Tackle). (It is called The Several Fishery becuse that's a legal description of it because the fishing was historically severed from the land ownership not after a mythical Mr Severals! Calling it Severals is like calling The Queen - Queens!). Early July is early for the best of the barbel fishing around here; if the rivers are low as is expected it could be a tough summer for many barbel anglers.

"Calling it Severals is like calling The Queen - Queens!."

Not really Mark. This would only be true if the Queen was not a person, but a stretch of river, and if virtually everyone else in world, including the controlling club's membership book, referred to her as Queens.

Stuart,

So if those that print the RDAA book and website are ignorant because they're calling it by the name being in general use by those ignorant of the actual name(RDAA used to get it right!) can I start call The Royalty (similar derivation) Royalty's or Throop, Throop's (usually referred to as Froop). Names with 's mean they belong to someone or thing like Moy's Water.

Sorry mate you're wrong because calling it Severals makes no sense in any way whatsoever. These fisheries were claimed by the king in days of old for salmon netting/trapping which is why such fisheries exist on the Avon (Royalty, The Several), Stour (Longham Royalty Fishery), Frome (Wareham) and Piddle (again Royalty). That's why the rights were severed from the land ownership hence Several.

Mark,

I don't accept that I am wrong. Leaving aside your assertion that "those that print the RDAA book and website are ignorant", my original comment was specifically regarding your analogy of calling The Several Fishery - Severals with that of calling the Queen - Queens. I still believe, and maintain, that this is an inappropriate and incorrect analogy. I do not know a single person who refers to the Queen as Queens, and yet I know many who refer to the section of river in question as "Severals".

While I have no intention of disputing the derivation of the given name of the "Several" fishery, I do wonder, that aside, how far are you prepared to take your "makes no sense" argument?

In the eleventh century Ringwood was called "Rincevede". Following your logic, either everyone who now calls Ringwood Ringwood is ignorant, or else the name Ringwood has been accepted into common parlance. Otherwise, calling it Ringwood would make "no sense in any way whatsoever". I would suggest that the name "Severals" has now been similarly accepted by all, except you.

To my mind, for clarification, calling the Several Fishery "Severals" is in no way similar to calling The Queen - Queens.

Surely, in a modern day environment such as an internet forum, someone asking for advice on angling opportunities in the area should be advised of suitable stretches with reference to the common parlance of the day?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast