Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small Barbel

Can anyone tell my why small Barbel never seem to get caught?
    Young fish of other species get caught all the time but even when using small baits like maggots or casters i`ve never caught a really small Barbel.
    Any ideas Why?

I've caught plenty, but only on certain rivers.

This has been discussed before, but on many rivers there is a worry that fish recruitment is not going too well.

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member) Guest

I've had a few on the Trent only 5 or 6 inches long, on maggots.

Matt,what are you classing as small?

Geoff Cowen Guest

I had a lot on the Severn fishing the fast shallow glides close in, fish of 8oz to 1lb in size.

John McLaren Guest

There are places on the Ribble where small fish (up to 1lb) are all you will catch at certain times of the year - my theory is that there are areas that are effectively barbel kindergartens. I believe that used to be true on the Severn and Geoff's experience may indicate it remains so.

The smallest barbel I ever caught was no bigger than a good sized gudgeon - from the Parlour Pool on the Hampshire Avon. That was almost certainly a stocked fish though.

Same as Geoff, but upper Avon on maggots, 4-5 inches long.

The Small barbel in the picture were caught from the Dane, the Dove and the Ribble.

It does seem that there are certain areas of most rivers where you can catch a fair number of them, mainly early in the season.

Ginger - anything up to 1lb or so, although one of my local rivers has a batch in the 1.5 to 2lb range. They have a craving for two large cubes of meat on a size 4 in a flood!

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member) Guest

Hey, you look a but younger there Graham.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast