Flashing barbel

J

John Huntley

Got one! Last cast at about 9.30. just about to pack up do to onslaught by midges and the line tore off. Hectic scrap and one handsome 8lb 1oz barbel in the net.Not the biggest in the shoal by far but a good start to the season.
Started off with the caster hemp approach using plastic casters on the hook but couldn`t get the run through quite right. Reverted to a very light leger with a long tail but no takes on the casters which surprised me. fed the hemp and casters all evening, the fish were there but not showing themselves as much as previous. eventually resorted to the halibut and that did the trick.Thanks for the advice chaps.

J

John Huntley

Steve
I`ve sent a picture into the gallery should be on tomorrow. not my best barbel but certainly one of the most enjoyable catches.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Looking forward to it mate.

I've still got a theory that they use their flanks and tail to disturbed the bottom, then turn and drop back downstream to pick up anything that they have disturbed from the bed of the river?

castapprentice

Reaction score
When Barbel flash its normaly around cabbage beds, I have watched from the limb of a tree overhanging the river, I have seen the Barbel feeding in the cabbage and flashing maybe knocking something off the cabbage.
I have put pellet in and the Barbel have ignored it and carried on feeding in the cabbage, definatly off the bottom.

N

Neil Smart

Barbel 'flashing' is used to 'lift' gravel to dislodge food particles. Also to clean off lice from their bodies.
BTW my first posting,looks a great site with some real anglers who are not afraid to voice an opinion or two, without the intrusion of over zealous 'mods'. Unlike ANother site !!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Welcome Neil, you're right it is a great site, it's the best!
It also has some very good anglers who are always willing to share their knowledge.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Trickle feed and watch is great advice. Sometimes I would just watch for ages and ages before actually fishing. Some of my best barbel catches were from concentrating around the edges of the fed area or more often a bit downstream of it.

I've seen barbel feed at mid depth and even very close to the surface. I'm convinced when they're rolling/flashing on the bottom they're moving the gravel/silt around to expose food.

A great sight to see. I even attempted to get the behaviour on a camcorder once but failed miserably.

N

Neil Smart

Steve, Thanks for the welcome, yep! very impressive site.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I have watched barbel "flashing" on shallow stretches of the River Swale, the Severn, the Dorset Stour and the Warks Avon.

I think that they are taking nymphs and pupa in mid water. If you look at a barbel's mouth, it must be difficult for the fish to rise and intercept a food particle coming down the stream in the way a roach or chub can.

One of our barbel's cousins, the Vaal River Small Mouth Yellowfish of South Africa, spins piroettes when it takes a dry fly off the surface.

David Craine

Reaction score
I have seen Trout behave in a similar manner in a local River,from above on a Bridge with polaroids you can see them flashing , turning onto their sides,and using their tail fins and flanks to lift the Gravel, and dislodge small food items .It is fascinating, they almost seem to work as a unit, with two trout dislodging the items, and another couple below snatching whatever is dislodged, then they seem to trade places...so all get the benefit..... who says fish arent smart.