Which TC

sam vimes

Reaction score
Dalesman,
there's no definitive answer. Personally, I tend to use a 1.75TC rod and occasionally 2.00TC. However, others will hate the idea of fishing so heavy and will wonder why anyone would need a rod over 1.25TC unless they intend to tow barges.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Also depends on the rod's action - I have a 1lb test rod which has more power in the lower section than a similar 1.25lb test rod I own.

The TC is all about how much weight it takes to put a 90º bend in the blank - but that bend could be all that the rod has to give or it could be just at the tip section, leaving a lot more power to come all the way down the blank.

I have landed a 13lb river carp on my 1lb test rod with relative ease - although not the rod I may have chosen if I'd known the carp was coming, it proved its quality on that day.

dezza

Reaction score
That is very true. Fast taper rods of low "test curve" are often much more powerful, especially in terms of distance casting than all through action rods of high TC.

In truth, a "test curve" based on the amount of force required to bend a rod so that it's tip is at right angles to its butt, cannot exist. But since we have no better way at the moment of determining a rod's power, we are stuck with the TC concept. Which is fine so long as we know the drawbacks involved.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
As the guys above have said, it's difficult to be specific about the best test curve of a rod for fishing in a particular situation. Test curves are not scientific and one maker's 1.5lb will be another's 1.75lb. The TCs you're considering are in the right ball park for the Yorkshire rivers so just go and try some rods in the tackle shop and choose the one that feels best to you.

From my own experience Korum rods feel a bit more powerful than their stated test curve, Shimano feel a bit light and Daiwa and Drennan feel about right. This of course is a very subjective judgement and rods of 1.5 to 1.75 TC from any of these makers will comfortably handle 10lb main line and so will handle 99.99% of your Yorkshire fishing.

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

Dalesman,
there's no definitive answer. Personally, I tend to use a 1.75TC rod and occasionally 2.00TC. However, others will hate the idea of fishing so heavy and will wonder why anyone would need a rod over 1.25TC unless they intend to tow barges.

Sam hasn't mentioned that he tows coal barges with his rods when he isn't fishing with them.:D

dezza

Reaction score
When buying a rod, the best thing to do would be to handle it first.

As Sean says, and he is a mechanical engineer like myself, the concept of the TC is flawed and is not good engineering.

I find it strange that many modern anglers cannot decribe what is meant by a test curve.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Many anglers buy rods not knowing what the rod can or can't do, and don't need the TC rods they have, it's the TC rod to be seen with, just because a known angler uses them. The angler buys these rods thinking he will catch the fish the known angler has caught, sad but very true.

I have seen anglers in the Lea Valley using 3.5 TC Rods, yet there isn't a lake in the Lea Valley where you need such a rod. Spod rods of 4 or 5lb TC yes, but many many years ago we use to use a Beach Caster, and a fairy liquid bottle with the top and bottom cut off, plug one end with groundbait, fill with feed, maggots, hemp casters etc etc, plug the other end with groundbait, that was 30 years ago.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Why not buy a twin-tip so you can use whichever is appropriate for the conditions. I have Greys twin-tips and a pair of old Martin Bowler (Leeda?) twin-tips. Both have 1.5 and 1.75 tips and both are good rods in both configurations. But on the Trent in winter perhaps a shark-beachcaster might be more useful!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Those were made by a company called Giant which as you quite rightly stated were an offshoot from Leeda. By all accounts they were (and still are) quite good rods. Maroon coloured blanks if I'm not mistaken?

That's them. I had a 24lb catfish on the 1.5 last month and it coped fine.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Sean is dead right about the huge variance in action/power of similar tc rods.My main barbel rods are Greys in 1.75 but I had a waggle of a 1.75 Korum t'other day and it is a noticeably more powerful beast. Nice rod too...might have one for me zandering.

How times have changed. For years I fished the Kennet with a 1.25 tc rod as soft as butter and 5lb line and never felt remotely undergunned.

Last edited:

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Sean is dead right about the huge variance in action/power of similar tc rods.My main barbel rods are Greys in 1.75 but I had a waggle of a 1.75 Korum t'other day and it is a noticeably more powerful beast. Nice rod too...might have one for me zandering.

Have a look at the twin tip 1.75/2.2 Skippy an excellent allround rod. A little heavy (IMHO) for small river barbelling, but a really good floodwater barbel, zander, close/medium range carp and light pike rod.

quickcedo

Reaction score
I own 3 Greys Progody Barbel rods (the 3 piece ones) one in 1.5 and two in 1.75. All 3 have a different action and the two 1.75s have a different test IMO.
The moral here is always try before you buy.