Manor Farm, Evesham.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Yes, in 1997.

Had various catches from here including some nice roach and a 9lb barbel on a large bunch of maggots, fished below the weir.

G

Geoff Cowen

It does look like a Carp with the back half of a Barbel added. It must be something in the water, after all the block has grown an extra arm!

G

Geoff Cowen

Just got back from Evesham, I had three night sessions which produced 7 Barbel 2 Chub and 1 Bream. The two best Barbel were 9lb 15oz and 10lb 14oz. Not bad for my first trip to the Avon.
The only down side to the trip was the Caravan site was very noisy and the shower block was disgusting. The staff also had a terrible attitude when told about it, to say the least they were very rude.

E

EC

Well done on your catch Geoff, pity a poor attitude and bit of basic hygiene went amiss.

It does make a big difference, maybe someone who visits this site will tell the owners!

How about a review section for fisheries/facilities Graham?

Daniel Matley

Reaction score
Nice one Geoff, hope the info helped a bit in your catches.

I was a bit surprised in what you said about the site though as we have never experienced any real noise in three stays there and the owner has never been anything but helpful towards us. Fair comment on the shower block which is a bit pants but then we never used it much prefering to use the facilities in the caravans.

Danny.

G

Geoff Cowen

The info was a great help and I meant to e-mail you to thank you but life can just pass you bye. I was just two CHAV families making all the noise and you can't do much about it. There is another site nearer to the river we might give a go next time.

J

Jack Pike BA

oops we have just booked onto Manor for a few days this week we stayed at Anchor last year the campsire was OK but there was a few noddies fishing who spoilt it by hogging the river bank and the litter and mess that they leftI suggested to the owner that he should start charging a clean peg deposit 0f ?30 or more for over nighters it may stop the litter bugs and chavs

G

Geoff Cowen

Good luck Jack, I did get a letter stating that things would be improved so it will be interesting to see how you get on.
The fishing should be spot on with all the rain we've had; I wish I was there myself!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Geoff, just out of interest where did you fish for those barbel was it Evesham itself or Harvington?

There are quite a few barbel waters now on the Avon from Fladbury right up to Bidford with the odd one or two up as far as Stratford. The River Arrow also holds barbel though they are smaller in comparison but the Arrow is lovely river for float fishing for a mixed bag.

I saw my first barbel in the Avon in the 70's weighed in on a match between Bidford and Welford it weighed all of 3oz!

G

Geoff Cowen

I fished the Camp site stretch at Harvington. Mostly the top swim bellow the wear. You go down the track past the Camp site take the gate on the right about two hundred yards before you get to the river follow the track down to the river. I fished the concrete edged swim which is just bellow the lock gates. (It was the only one that looked safe to fish from). I caught on 20mm Halibut Pellets and Nash Monster Barbel Pellet shapped boilies.
I was told that the Arrow holds some very big 2lb + Roach any info?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Not really Geoff because I havn't fished it for a couple of years. There is a good stretch on the left bank (day ticket) in front of the pub at Wixford with the best peg the one immediately below the bridge. This can be a real bagging up peg on the right day in the right conditions with the stick float the ideal tool. Theres also some day ticket water higher up at the hotel (I think its The Arrow Mill) almost opposite the gates to Ragley Hall which has some barbel in but its quite shallow and you need a drop of the wet stuff in it ideally.

Never heard of a two pound roach out of there but it is a river that can throw up surprises so I wouldn't rule it out.

J

Jack Pike BA

The campsite seem spot on to us we had field all to ourselves . Toilets and shower block are basic but cleaned twice daily so things must of improved. Fishing was hard but the wife did catch a nice bream of around 6.5 lbs.

G

Geoff Cowen

It's nice to know it has improved; my letter of complaint must have worked.