Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost Barbel

Say if you lost a barbel at the net, what would happen to the fish?

Would it go belly up due to the fight?

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member) Guest

It depends on how tired the fish was, the temperature of the water and that influences the oxygen content, and the fitness of the fish.

I can't think of many times in my life where I have lost a barbel at the net. If they break free, in my experience, they do it early in the fight.

EC Guest

What an excellent question Marcus, I am very surprised that you have had so few answers considering the wealth of experience on this site!

The general consensus is that often in normal conditions but especially during low river conditions and low oxygen levels that the fish often need serious nursing back to strength.

To answer your question if they are lost at the net, then there is no nursing that takes place, I would suggest some might well go the way you describe!

That said, does actually taking them out of the water exacerbate this, if they were indeed landed?

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA) Guest

Eddie/Marcus

Quite a lot on this topic on BFW at the moment where quite a few have decided not to fish in the conditions.

I suspect that as you say Eddie, the stress/exhaustion is exacerbeted by handling on the bank which obviously doesn't occur if the fish breaks free.

I wouldn't go as far as stopping fishing but would ensure that the fish were played to the net as quickly as possible and were then returned equally as quickly.

I had a couple of fish last Sunday which both swam away strongly after only limited recovery time.

Zi-Zu Guest

Eddie C,
    I think the answer to that question is that people are just so fed up with the domination on here by certain people whereas "elsewhere" any posts related in any way to them are immediately deleted and serious and meaningful discussion can and does take place.

EC Guest

Sorry Chris, you've genuinely lost me a bit there mate, expand a bit if you can please!

Zi-Zu Guest

"Our Bob"'s mate!

EC Guest

Sorry Chris, still none the wiser, but no worries!

Still a very good question though Marcus, what do you reckon?

john ledger Guest

Nigel is correct when he says the problem occurs on the handling side,another pointer is even though you think a barbel has recovered it may well still be exhausted and turn belly up in the weeds after release.I have seen this happen countless times on the Upper Trent and have waded out to rescue them,spend a few extra minutes with them and make sure they are recovered,same with grayling.

paul williams 2 Guest

Eddie C......i often get lost when venturing on to the Barbel forum too!

My answer to the original question would be to use gear balanced to ALL the prevailing conditions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast