I equalled my barbel pb this evening.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I took my young lad out fishing this afternoon, but due to unforseen circumstances had to move swims because of bathers, well, kids and a swing rope.
So I moved to the swim which I caught my previous pb from.
I've caught three barbel from it now, 11lb, 11lb 10oz and today 11lb 10oz. I've got photos of all three fish and I will be studying them later for identifying marks.
Each time it has been a one fish capture, could it be the same fish?
Is this common, do they stay very territorial?

Anyway, I'm chuffed to bits, it went like a freight train. I thought it was my first river carp, until it's huge head popped up.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Congrats Steve.

Way back in the mists of time, I'm convinced I, and others, caught the same fish from the same areas over quite long periods. I'm even pretty sure I caught the same fish twice in an afternoon on the same bait.

There were not too many barbel in some of the sidestreams we fished but they seemed to stay in the same few swims for long periods, weeks, maybe months.

But why is "The Traveller" so named???

E

EC

Well in Steve.

I wouldnt know mate, I've read that the bigger ones can be territorial and split from the shoals and become quite isolated, but I don't live near a barbel river so its not based on experience, only what I've read!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Cheers Neil and Eddie.

I think it was about this time last year I caught my pb (it's in the anals of FM somewhere)

As it happens, I met Mr King last year on the Throop. He said barbel normally travel downstream after being captured??? And that he was fishing upstream days later, with no intention of catching the same fish.

A true "Traveller"!

S

Sean Meeghan

Hi Steve. It looks likely that its the same fish. Barbel seem to split into two groups: those that travel and those that stay put. Some of my friends have had repeat captures of big fish in the same day and I ve caught fish shortly after they've been returned by someone else.

D

Dave Burr

A big fish who's weight varied between 12 and 13lbs was caught from the same swim on my local fishery over a four year period.

It was easily identifiable as were several other fish that frequented the spot but fresh 'new' fish were also caught from the swim.

Some barbel seem to settle in one spot, others move about.

I'm sure that were it not for angling pressure more would remain in their chosen homes but you have to have a few itinerants to spread the species through the river.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hi Sean,
I've just studied the pictures, I'm amazed!
I thought it was the same fish, but it's not.
The tail is definitely different, the one I caught yesterday has rounded tips on it's tail. Last years fish has a pointed upper part of the tail, I'm gob smacked. Two fish at the same weight from the same swim, from a venue that supposedly doesn't hold many barbel.

I'm even more chuffed now, I was convinced it was the same fish.

S

Sean Meeghan

Nice one Steve! Two personal bests! Do you think its a year class thing? I've had a load of fish around the 9lb 10oz mark from the Swale and I think that this is the size that a lot of a particular year class reach before plateauing in weight.

J

John Huntley

Well done Steve.
I had a very similiar experience with chub.
On friday night i caught two chub of around 31/2lb. When I returned on saturday to the same spot I had two identical chub with the first two casts. I am certain that they are the same fish. Unfortunately I did not get a take from the barbel that got away on Friday!

I

Ian Cloke

Same as Fred, sorry Steve. You deserve to be well chuffed mate, I'm well envious, I haven't caught a double figure barbel..........YET!!!

J

john ledger

Well done Steve and its not forced to be the same fish depending on what time of year you caught the others, as an 11lb fish would certainly be 12lb are over later on in the season

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Cheers guys.
Just got back from a week in Fishguard and I'm still chuffed to bits, I can't wait to get back on the river!
I think I've found a barbel hole, my mate lost a "biggie" from it while I was away.

It's gonna get some serious attention from me now, I've heard rumours of fifteens?