PM RODS HIGH TRIPOD

Reaction score
Has anyone used these rests ? I purchased 2 (1 for myself and 1 for mate).
I must be doing something wrong because on the 3 takes that ive had on them they have been tipped over . I still want to use them but I've lost confidence in them .
Any advice would be welcome ?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Give it to somone you don't like.

Mine used to have a habit of unwinding when a take occured. This sometimes dumped the rods on the floor.

I gave it to my mate Adam and first time out the same happened to him causing one of his rods to break (as it hit the rocks).

I now use a Fox Horizon Pod and am very pleased with it.

Reaction score
does this remain stable on a take unlike the ones that i have?
Has anyone got anything good to say about the PM RODS HIGH TRIPOD?

Sgt Bash

Reaction score
I dont use the pm tripod, but I do use a Veals mini tripod https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Tripods.html
It has a built in leg lock which I can pin down to the deck with 4 or 5 tent pegs, I have sliplined the rod holders with longer sleeves. I have yet to have the rods keel over or jump out of the rod holders on the most savage of bites yet. I think if you get yourself a leg lock kit ?7 on the same page I have highlighted above, and you used some tent pegs as well I think you would have a good stable platform on which to use your rods, I used to do a lot of Bass fishing in the esturies of Devon and needed to keep the rods high to beat the surf and the only way to stop the tripod tippling over was to leg lock the tripod and spike it into the sand. The tripod looks a good bit of kit from the pictures I have seen, so it may be worthwhile stabalising it a bit before giving up on it

Sgt Bash

Reaction score
You can also make a couple of leg locks with a couple of strips of alluminium/mild steel bar and a couple of wingnuts, set up you optimum leg opening and drill the bar and legs to suit and use the wingnuts to lock it together.

David Craine

Reaction score
Another way to stablize the tripod is to hang a weight under the apex at the top..I allways use a tripod for fishing for Barbs, you cannot get a bankstick into the bed of the Ribble..the weight works a treat, but then again, 20 years of beach fishing teaches you all sorts of tricks..

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I also managed to overtighten the threads where the rod rests screw into the buzzer bar (which is uniquely at a right angle to the male thread that screws into the tripod).

This meant I was unable to remove the rod rest heads and replace them which buzzers (for night fishing).

I called the supplier, Leslies Of Luton, to see if I could buy a replacement PM buzzer bar and they didn't do them.

I hunted round all sorts of shops for a buzzer bar with a built in right angle but all to no avail.

Next I tried a right angled keepnet adaptor with a normal buzzer bar but that just created more leverage and would often unwind just with the pressure on the line.

When I gave it to Adam he manufactuered his own buzzer bar from stainless steel.

Here's a review I did for another site on my modified Fox Horizon Pod http://www.barbel.co.uk/site/reviews/foxhpod/foxhpod.htm

There are plenty of other tripods becoming available now, so I would strongly recommend investing in something a bit more sturdy.

D

Danny Hale

Harry,
I have used the PM tripod for 2 years now, mainly on The Ribble and have had no real problems.
As long as your main 3 sticks are in the ground firm (if not a bag full of stones held off the main stick will keep her steady) and the top bar is tightly screwed in (if not a savage take on RH rod can unwind the bar) you should be OK mate.

Cheers

Danny

G

Geoff Cowen

Harry - I have been using PM for about 5 or 6 years and the Fox Horizon for the last couple. I have had the same problems as Matt with the PM but I have drilled through the buzzer bar threaded section and put a roll pin in to lock it in place. I also added the bottom section of a short Fox power bank stick the bit that screws into the ground. It fits perfectly over the end of back leg of the PM tripod, this help to anchor it into the ground and makes it much more stable and doesn't make it much heavier. The Horizon Pod is better but much heavier and I tend to only take it for over nighters when using alarms.

S

sash

Why do people insist on using tripods? In my opinion it puts rods far too close together on moving water. I've never had a problem getting a powerstick bankstick into any swim I've ever fished.

Reaction score
My reason for buying this tripod was because I fish a couple of pegs that are all stone under foot so i have trouble getting a bankstick in , i usually have to build bricks around base of sticks to make rests solid . Iwill try suspending a weight from the apex of tripod and I will try making a couple of pegs to secure the feet .
Ithink my best option shall be to save up for a Horizon Pod !

V

vid

i use a fox x pod plus with 36in bank sticks in the front, the angle of the alarms can be adjusted (as can back cups ) with trent angle adapters(from climax) .this works realy well v solid hihg tips and buts well of the ground.

V

vid

i use a fox x pod plus with 36in bank sticks in the front, the angle of the alarms can be adjusted (as can back cups ) with trent angle adapters(from climax) .this works realy well v solid high tips and buts well of the ground.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Dave, it's not always an option on all waters.

I can only speak of the Trent, but I imagine it can be a similar situation on other rivers. Perhaps it's necessary to fish 30 yards out in heavy water with big leads and the rod tips high. Maybe there's a feature at 30 yards, or it's just too shallow close in, or there's some rocks you wish to stay clear of.

Maybe you wish to fish all night, or with two rods.

Still, I caught a few nice barbel from the Dove on Saturday with the rig no more than 3ft from the near bank, the rod in my hand and the bankside vegetation as a rod rest. That was more fun!

Dave Powell

Reaction score
I think most tripods and pods need to be modified slightly for use on rivers. I have the PM Rods tripod and I've added storm poles for the front legs and use a cut down screw in bankstick for the main bar to slide into (like Geoff above). I've also added a rubber washer for the buzzer bar so that it doesn't unscrew on a sharp take. Not sure it'd be suitable as a self supporting tripod on hard banks, and certainly not at it's full extension, but with the above modifications it's spot on for the bits of the Trent I fish.

Dave

Reaction score
anyone got a pod or ideas for me to try , is there anything new on the market ?

if not im gonna follow matts advice and get a horizon pod

ive given up on the pm and have sent them to a better place ( e-bay ) /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif