Lower Severn

Darren George

Reaction score
I thought throop fish were born at 7lb? :eek:)

Seriously though, the lower severn does offer a great chance of a double figure barbel, maybe best in the country... At present though, they dont go much over 14lb, such a fish would be a fish of a lifetime from the severn IMO

Is there a bigger fish than the severn record swimming about? At present I personally dont think so. (many disagree) Give it a couple of years though. Also the middle severn population is getting bigger...

Id love to be proven wrong though. Many say the severn best will go this season, I remain pessimistic...

T

Thalia

I understand where your coming from Darren. I feel that more will come from the Thames. Such a big river - so many unfished bends and holes.

Was impressed with Sean Meeghan's series on the Swale. Looks like a river with plenty of midsize to double figure fish.

C

Coops

The Lower Severn is so big who knows what's swimming about? I know fish to over 15lb come out every year and there's miles of unfished water. A real biggy will surface sometime. I agree getting to them is a problem as you do have to wade through a lot of smaller fish, but what a problem to have!

Darren George

Reaction score
Probably right coops.

Then again, the trent is a big old river, with plenty of fish, not totally unlike the severn. Plenty of rumours of 16, 17, 18lb fish, even 20+. Just rumours perhaps, but they say theres no smoke without fire. Well, wheres the smoke on the severn? :eek:)

T

Thalia

Darren - is fishing only about the biggest near record/record breaking fish? From what Coops says then I'm looking to move close to the Severn! Fishing the Thames as I do I can tell youu I'd certainly appreciate 'wading thrugh all the smaller' Barbel!!

Sounds like angling heaven to me.........

C

Coops

Barbel fishing is the best fishing there is, whatever the size.

It's not easy on the Lower Severn because of the size of the river, but once you have got to grips with it, two to three fish a session (6-7 hours) average is the norm throughout the summer and the average weight is between 6 and 7lb. There's a good chance that a double will appear at least every 20 fish or so. But you will also get a fair share of 2 - 4lb fish.

It's a whole lot easier than some stretches of the Thames that people I know fish, but when they catch it's usually a big 'un.

P

paul williams 2

"Wheres the smoke on the Severn".......the ex record was pretty hot!

B

Bully

So where does the Lower Severn start then? Only place I have fished is Atcham, which I assume is middle / upper??

The reason I ask is that I have just found out that a friend has a half mile stretch above Atcham (he owns the fields) and no one fishes it at all, and I can have access with some mates!!

C

Coops

Hiya Bully, am I still your mate!! I did give you a feeder at Atcham......

Lower Severn I believe really starts about Diglis Weir in Worcester. Anything above that is Middle Severn, the upper reaches in Taff land.

Someone will probably disagree....

P

pons

Coops,
15lb plus every year .
I dont know many folk that have seen them,and there are a main few fishing for them.
The really Big Fish are needle in haystack jobs,and then they are no where near what other rivers are capable of,or are producing.
The facts are no one has got near Howards record set right back in the 90s,and that was a 16,fantastic at the time but well eclipsed by many rivers now.
The Severn is full of Barbel,no question,but it is not full of really Big Fish.
If you want them,you have to go elsewhere.
Pons.

C

Coops

Pons, well I know for certain a 15 has come out in each of the last three years including this, so you now know one folk as I've seen the evidence, not just heard the hearsay.

It certainly is a numbers game, you have to put the work in (kind of work I like!) and there are known stretches that are likely to produce them.

However, there is also a lot of very lightly fished water that if you put the same effort in could possibly reward you with an equally big (or bigger)fish.

I'm not saying there are a lot of big fish but they are in there and the Severn may still throw a surprise.

P

pons

Coops,
A lad on BFW has just claimed a 15-13 off the lwr river,with witnesses and photo,and I heard of a claimed 16 this week ,again off the lwr river.
Fantastic fish if true,which I hope it is.
Pons.

C

Coops

I haven't heard of a 16 but the 15 I know about was caught two weeks ago.

malcolm hallissey

Reaction score
Yes Paul what a cracking fish,I think the record might go this season if all the rumours are true,there are certainly some big fish coming out.

atb
malc

P

pons

Absolute Monster for the Severn,very well done to the captor.
Fish of a lifetime !
Pons.

C

Coops

Yeah, a bit more smoke Darren, it's a big fish by anyone's standards. Perhaps high 15 is the current Lower Severn limit, but I can't help wondering if there's still a big old girl to be caught that beats this swimming around in that vast expanse of water. It's what makes me keep going back to hopefully find out.