Otters killing barbel?

T

Thalia

is there an element of truth in it? Have heard one or two rumblings about barbel on the Thames and Windrush having been killed by otters.

I've not seen a single carcass it has to be said and can't help feeling that anglers seem to reach out for another reason why we can't catch a certain species in the numbers we used to.

Anyone in the Thames area seen or heard of anything with substance to it.?

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I wouldn't be suprised if they did kill barbel but they're native to the British Isles and so have a right be there.

Any decline in fish stocks should not be cause to vilify otters.

I have heard that otters will kill mink too which are by no means native and pose a much bigger threat than the otter.

honslow

Reaction score
They'll cetainly take chunks out of them for sure. They probably do kill a fair number in the very depths of winter.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
And there entitled to them. If man had not decimated the eel stocks in one way or another. There would be plenty of there prefared food around.

I have yet to see a otter in the wild and wait with anticipation for that day.

C

chris 2

Seen one on the Derbyshire Derwent about 3 weeks ago.Near to where Ron fishes for Grayling and it wasent a bloody mink.First one ive seen in the wild and they are most welcome.Not seen any fish carcasses on the bank in this area.

Blunderer

Reaction score
I saw the carcass of a big barbel on the Trent at Fiskerton a month or so ago.

May have been a mink but may have been an otter.

Joskin

Reaction score
Definatly more Otters in the Windrush now and far less Barbel that there used to be.

captain carrott

Reaction score
lucky sod chris, i'd love to see one.

as for the less barbel in the windrush comment, there would be more if foriegners didn't keep shooting them with air rifles.

F

Fred Bonney

Otters will take any fish,not just Barbel.
Not seen any on the Trent yet.

T

Thalia

You're all in line with what I thought and am thinking. My question wasn't aimed at whether otters have the right to take any fish let alone the barbel - they have much more right than we'll ever have.

Jason - I know what you refer to with the shooting. I heard a first hand account of a whole host of barbel being shot on the gravel spawning grounds at the popular Newbridge stretch a few years ago. Supposedly done by foreign campers staying in the field just up from the pub.

Joskin - in the middle of the summer I was fishing the above mentioned bit of water and dusk descended upon me. Just down stream from where I had my bait a few swans started getting irate but I couldn't work out why as I hadn't moved and revealed myself. But then I saw what I first thought was a rat or mink crossing the river aimed straight at me. Then as it got near I realised from the size that it was an otter! It literally touched the bank right under where my feet were dangling - it then saw me or my rod just hanging over the water and slipped almost mercury like back under waters surface and was gone.

First time I'd seen one in the wild and it made the hairs stand up at the back of my neck. One of the most fantastic things I'd ever seen while angling and I packed up immediately.

As my first question implied I think I've picked up on the rantings of the few uninformed fools that we have in angling. I remember a long time ago that anglers were saying something along these lines about the disappearance of roach on the Warks Avon but when the EA surveyed the water the roach were still there but so was an overabundance of snails and other natural food. It was just that we anglers couldn't catch them so had to come up with a theory as to why other than blame ourselves!

Jonathan Whitham

Reaction score
Used to fish the Derwent at Stamford Bridge about 25 years ago and, having moved back into the area, went back there to fish. Previously there were loads of Dace and small fish to catch but this time I couldn't get any bits at all.

Speaking to a local he said he knew of two very large otters and he thought these were the cause. I'm open minded...but I do know the dace and small chub have gone.

T

Thalia

Possibly grown on to be bigger fish and something else affected next few spawnings?

Not an expert on otters and their appetites Jonathan but would they expend so much energy on small fish? Would have thought that their prey would be matched to the amount of effort they have to use to catch and survive?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Otters can raom miles of river bank in the year. Which means that one stretch would not be exhausted of its stocks. The more likley cause as on the ribble is the cormarant. Also we have not to forget the increase in the number of herons since they were protected.

Alot of the problems are mankind fault. if we did not rape the land and sea for all we can get then they would still be in balance. The problem is we tip the scales in our favour and expect mother nature to compensate.

Joskin

Reaction score
Jase
"There would be more if foreigners didn't keep shooting them with air rifles".

Can an air rifle really have enough power to penetrate a fish on the the river bed and kill it. I have been around Guns for years but have never come across anyone who has shot a fish in the water with an air rifle. I do know people that have shot Pike with shot guns but they tend to be near to the surface when they do.

honslow

Reaction score
We've got a few on the Welland where they are taking a fair few chub. They are a delight to see and I for one don't begrudge them a few fish.

captain carrott

Reaction score
Can an air rifle really have enough power to penetrate a fish on the the river bed and kill it.

on the shallows by the bridge next to the road yes

gilesy

Reaction score
i once shot a stickleback with an air rifle years back when i was a kid. total fluke ! !

Jonathan Whitham

Reaction score
Many years ago shot an air rifle down by the canal. It was like the longest skimmer you ever saw...you could still see it skimming off the surface at least 400 yards away.

T

Thalia

CCarrot - must have been you I spoke to about that! Was stood on the high bank nattering to some chap about it and highly likely that was you. I remember telling John Everard who was chairman of the 'save the Windrush' campaign at the time..