Weed Problem

J

john ledger

Reckon i have had more blanks than Sheff United lately,must get back on the stick

Ginger

Reaction score
John, do you float fish for Barbel?

Must admit it`s a method i`ve never tried.

I`m sure Ron will give me a few tips.

J

john ledger

Ginger
Caught quite a few on the Swale Nidd and upper Trent up to just under 8lb on the float.
All where caught on a 14ft rod and 4lb line and they make your arms ache,lost one over 10lb at Asenby when i had it on for about 30mins could not move it so decided to go to it,did not work and it took off.
In the eighties at Shardlow i have had up to 16 on the floaton tares but at that time a 3lb fish was a good one.
Used to use sausage meat on the hook in the early sixties on the Yorkshire rivers legering and caught a huge fish at Boroughbridge on the Ure,sausage meat always caught the barbel in those days.
I fished with Ron at Collingham and told him i would catch one on sausage meat and blanked,yes im full of blanks.
Sure it will work though if perservered with(just cut the sausage through the link with a stanley knife
Fished with Graham the other week and he gave me some boilies,i did not use them thinking these buggers wont work,few days later fished the middle Trent with Fred Bonney and caught 4barbel and lost another 3.Gave Fred one and he caught a 5lb chub

Ginger

Reaction score
John, you say you had up to 16 Barbel on tares, were Barbel your target fish or were you fishing for Roach.

J

john ledger

Fishing for roach Ginger and the barbel moved in,just above the marina at Shardlow.
Used to be a real hot peg for barbel in the eighties but its all overgrown now.
Last year i caught around 40 in the fast water near Swarkestone on caster.
Sounds good until i tell you i lifted 90% of them out,all little fish not one over 2lb.
I just enjoyed watching the rod go round every throw

Ginger

Reaction score
John, i love to see ( and catch )the smaller fish,to me they`re the future of the river.
Most of my fishing on the Chelmer is done on a roving approach,loads of Chub,usually twenty or so every session,but over half these fish will be under 1lb 8ozs.
Also having some good roach with the odd fish nearing the magic 2lb mark.

Fished the Ribble 3 - 4 weeks ago ( had 8 days up there )with a pal of mine from Preston,had over 80 fish between us,half a dozen doubles but loads of Barbel under 2lb.
I`ve fished the Ribble ( 3 or 4 visits a year) for the last 10 years now but had never caught Barbel this small on any previous visits.
Really great to see.

Have you caught any Barbel on tares since?

J

john ledger

No but i use them in the baitdropper and also liquidize them with hemp and use in feeder or baitdropper