Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weed Problem

Fished the river at the weekend,water level up a little and coloured,looked really good.
    As soon as i started fishing i was picking up weed and debris that was being washed through the swim.
    Moved the bait from the faster water to the edge of the crease and although this reduced the amount of weed i was collecting it didn`t solve the problem.
    I was not just getting weed around the lead it was also masking the hook and bait.
    Any suggestions how to overcome this problem?
    I`m fishing again on Friday and they have forecast rain showers for the rest of this week so i`m expecting conditions to be much the same.
    Any advice most welcome.

Ginger,
    Had the same problem on the Thames a couple of weeks ago after a bit of a surge. Fine strands of loose weed, top to botoom. 2lb line was coming back looking like tow-rope every cast! The good news was that I went out a few days later and there was no problem. I think the loosened weed must settle down quite quickly after the initial increase in flow.
    Hope that's the case for your venue anyway.

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester Guest

Putting a float stop about three feet above the hook will help to stop the weed from going down to your hookbait.
    I am experiencing the same problem at the moment on stillwaters. Especialy when fishing facing the wind. The floating weed which the ducks have ripped up just crawls up the rod.
    The opposite to you I know but the end result is the same.

Ginger, I would suggest you wait until after the first frost and flood to continue your "Quest for Barbel" at this venue. This problem will be ongoing 'til then.

Take it from someone who knows. ;-)
    Special K!

Lark, I think the Thames has just had it's flush through of all the weed which was static in the summer. Fished last weekend and had stupid amounts of weed coming down.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for this weekend then. A mate of mine fished the Kennet yesterday and said it was pretty clear where he was - so we can hope!

The weed problem is normal for this time of year. If you can, fish upstream so that any weed collecting on the line will move away from the rig. You'll need to keep an eye on the rod tip though. Look for drop backs.

Also, the heavier the lead you use the longer you'll be able to keep the rig in the water.

Thanks for the replies.

Baz, i tried your idea of using a float stop above the hook,it certainly helped to reduce the amount of weed around the hook and bait.
    Thanks mate.

Matt, thanks for your tip, i never thought of fishing upstream and watching for drop backs.
    I`ll try this at the weekend.

Simon, don`t you fish for Barbel at this time of year?

I know that some well known and respected anglers fish rivers when they are in flood (Gary Knowles has written a couple of articles in Coarse Fisherman).
    Surely debris being washed down the river must make fishing almost impossible.
    How do these anglers overcome such problems?

Tony Rocca Guest

They persevere and catch shed loads.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast