Help needed on the Ribble please.

Andrew Hodson

Reaction score
I,ve fished the Ribble at Preston quite a bit in the past but i,ve only fished the well known stretches such as The Tickled trout, London bridge and the Garden center. Can anybody help me with advice and directions to some of the other good day ticket waters around this area. Me and my mate get a bit miffed when we read the fishing press and it gives a good report for a water, but no other help with getting there. Any help would be put to good use and much appreciated....

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Andrew, you will find responses that provide information on stretches that produce big barbel will be thin on the ground on this site, and many others.
I take it you are looking for somone to point you in the direction of known barbel swims?
If you knew of a stretch( day ticket or club book) which YOU had discovered yourself after many hours of painstaking reseach and walking the banks, which later produced a big fish, you are hardly going to announce it on an open web site are you? Guys will sometimes exchange information with each other privately by e mail when they get to know you.
In angling knowledge and hard work equals fish and that is precisely why you will read in the angling press a big barbel has been caught only "Below Ribchester".
Join a club that has a stretch of the Ribble, do your homework, walk the banks, talk to your fellow members and then you will be 'in the know' as they are.

P

Phil Hackett The original disability bad speller w

Couldn?t agree more Peter!
Andrew best advice I can give you is take plenty of leads, feeders and made up hook lengths wherever you go, the river?s a thief!

Paul Morley

Reaction score
What's wrong with the bit you fish anyway? The fish don't read the angling press! A friend had his first 5lb chub there. I've had up to 5 barbel in the daylight on a club stretch and absolutely nothing on any stretch this season, there are no easy fixes!!!

Andrew Hodson

Reaction score
Peter, Good God........ You would think i was a Nigerian scammer after credit card details. I only wanted directions to day ticket waters, its hardly a secret, I just dont get over that way enough to know all the day ticket lenths. I did ask for directions to waters, and not hot spots or known big barbel pegs.

Paul, nothing is wrong with the places i fish already. I had a 11lb barbel last August bank holiday on the Tickled trout section........but i just fancied a bit of variety.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Andrew, as any tackle shop worth its salt (Ted Carters) can advise you of the day ticket sections of the Ribble-and I dont believe there are many more than you know already- I and a few others took your post to mean you were hunting for specific information that was absent in Angling Times -hence the fact you and your mate were "miffed" because reports didnt say where fish were caught.
This site has been inundated recently with one time posters expecting someone to spill the beans about which stretches of the river produce the biggies, so you perhaps you will now understand the advise I gave you.
All I said is join a club, do you homework as others have done. You are probably fishing the best day ticket sections already; Certainly, your 11lbs fish beats my PB. Most of the bigger barbel fall to anglers fishing into darkness on the club sections.

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
Andrew, do you only fish day ticket waters or do you fish club water on the river?

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
andrew the stretch mentioned above is worth a go for the barbel but dont fish with light lines as it is full of boulders on the near side chuck past them and youre usually alright.well worth ago mucker.good luck.

Andrew Hodson

Reaction score
Ian, day ticket waters only mate, i dont get over there enough to justify the cost of a club book. Most of my fishing is done closer to home in Yorkshire on the Swale, Wharfe and Nidd.We also get down to the Severn a bit as well.

Matthhew and Gav, Thanks for that one. Will deffo give that one a go.

Reaction score
Hello Andrew,

Saw your post and it struck a chord with me, you are asking a simple question about how to enjoy your fishing more,on a website that, as far as I can see, is designed exactly for that purpose.

With regard to day ticket stretches, where has already been mentioned just about covers it as far as I know.

However, I would suggest looking into getting a card (membership) or two.

In the venue reports under Ribble, a (very)large proportion of the reports that site "Above Preston" or "Ribble" etc, as the location, will be the Warrington stretches.

Another stretch to consider is Elston, which is under the joint control of Wigan and St Helens but, to this day, I've never yet been asked to show my card yet (and I fish it alot).

On all of the stretches I have mentioned, you will catch plenty of fish (isn't that what its all about, anyway?)

As for this cloak of secrecy about where where you fish, if you want be SECRETIVE ABOUT IT, dont post anything whatsoever on the internet about it, you might look to the unitiated, as if you are just bragging.

So Andrew, hope this helps you and anyone else who wants to enjoy their fishing, to enjoy it a little more.

John

Andrew Hodson

Reaction score
Thank God.......someone with a bit of sense.
Thanks for the help John .Will deffo look at Elston. Any idea of the price of the Warrington card....Thanks again.

S

sash

Despite living many, many miles from the Ribble and never having fished it I have to agree with the principles that Peter and Phil are showing here.

It has taken me a simple internet search to find every single day ticket stretch with directions to all of them. Get an OS map of the area, look a bit closer, look at ariel views on Multimap/Google earth and explore. Total expenditure - less than a tenner and a bit of time which I'm sure everyone can afford.

matt

Reaction score
John are you suggesting he fishes the elston stretch without bothering to join the club ?

Will Smith

Reaction score
Andrew. I will probably get told if i am wrong but from the preston road bridg by the tickled trout on the golf course side is free all the way down to the sea.And below the shawes. The other side is free. And apparently worth a visit.But dont tell any one.

John Prendergast 2

Reaction score
matt..... I am suggesting exactly what I stated after the word "suggest", which was, "to look into getting a card (membership) or two".

Andrew, I think the Warrington card is around 30 odd quid plus I beleive a similar amount as an initial joining fee.

They can be obtained from tackle shops in and around Warrington or by contacting Warrington Anglers, themselves.

I'm sure some of the many Warrington members on here will give you a more detailed account of how to buy a card as there is no waiting list or anything, as far as I know

matt

Reaction score
So John what is the relevance of informing everyone that cards are checked infrequently on this stretch ?

Will Smith

Reaction score
Its a known fact that the stretch is not policed properly. I know people who think the 2 quid on the window sill is for a days fishing.

matt

Reaction score
It certainly is now youv'e told the 30000 members of FM