Waders

Reaction score
Hello Guys , I'd welcome any advice / recommendations I'm in the process of replacing waders that I've had stolen so I'm thinking of treating myself a little .
Currently looking at the Scierra stocking foot type , would welcome any input advice or thoughts on these or other brands . Should I go for chest or waist ?
Has anyone seen any decent deals about ?

Harry

Reaction score
General Barbel fishing on rivers , nights and day sessions and perhaps a little centrepin trotting

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
If you're loking for a pair of stocking foot breathables for general coarse fishing then I personally would go for chesties. Whilst they are a little less user friendly (a lot to undo when you want a pee) there's a much greater choice, they are more comfortable and you can always roll them down around your waist if you want to.

I'd never go for an expensive pair of chesties as they all seem to last for the same time (around 2 to 3 season) and in our climate you don't really need the high breathability of the more expensive ones.

When I need a new pair I check the offers from places like Glasgow Angling Centre or Fishtec and I can normally pick up a pair for between £60 and £80.

One thing I've learned over the years is not to buy a pair of wading boots (unless you REALLY need a felt sole) but to buy a cheap pait of hiking boots from somewhere like Go Outdoors and drill a few drainage holes just above the sole in the instep area. These boots will be a hell of a lot safer on grassy banks than felt soled boots.

Nathan Walter

Reaction score
Hi Harry,

You can get some good deals at the moment. I bought a pair of Simms Freestones this season, as I was fed up with neoprene ones. The problem with neoprene is when you take them off your just as wet as if you'd waded without them! Mind you they are warm in the winter.

The Freestones are breathable and much lighter than neoprene. In the winter I reckon a decent set of thermals will keep you warm underneath. The boots are far more comfortable than the bootfoot type and don't squash your toes when wading.

I paid £225 from Fishtec for my ones. That was for the waders and boots. They are very comfortable, light and easy enough to get on and off. Worth every penny.