A new Wye venue

chaucer

Reaction score
Hello guys , i am off to the Wye in a weeks time , but for 1 of the days i will be fishing a stretch new to me . This stretch being the Wye Lea at Bridstow.Has anyone fished here /opinions of.

thefitz

Reaction score
Hi Chaucer. You will enjoy The Wye Lea Fishery its a lovely place to fish, Plenty of Barbel and Plenty of swims to fish, I will be there in 3 weeks time for a couple of days, I am sure you will enjoy your time there, Good Luck

Ray Thorpe

thefitz

Reaction score
Hello guys , i am off to the Wye in a weeks time , but for 1 of the days i will be fishing a stretch new to me . This stretch being the Wye Lea at Bridstow.Has anyone fished here /opinions of.

Hi Chaucer, Fished Wye Lea at Bridstow at the weekend Lovely place, and had a few fish, how did you get on there.

Regards Ray Thorpe

chaucer

Reaction score
Hi Ray,its a long story but did not get to fish at Bridstow but walked the stretch,not the same as wetting a line!
Will be back there for sure,looked a lovely stretch with many swims to try .

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Hi Neil.(Chaucer) Yes the Wye Lea is a very nice stretch of river. Been guiding there for 4 years and very enyoyable. Finish at the end of this month and for my last season guiding could not have asked for a better finale. I have been a guest of the owners who are my friends.

Well done on your barbel captures on the syndicate Crookham stretch of the Kennet. Plenty of barbel there as well and to think you can fish the opposite bank just by joining the Thatcham Fishing club. Its often very peaceful and lots of fish.

Bit confused by the other posters comment about fishing there a couple of weekends ago though.

As I assist with the fishery daily he wasn't seen and his name is not listed as (as all anglers are)coming since being blacklisted.

Indeed its sad to say he was banned after a previous visit on the 7th August for unsporting behaviour and also listing a private/personal phone number on this site to the Owners home. (thank you mods for removing it)

I also re iterated his ban to him when I saw him on the Kennet as well as a couple of weeks after his 7th August visit. I left hi8m in no doubt he was not welcome.

So either he broke the ban and came again with an alias - and was not seen by either the baliff or me or is simply dreaming. Heaven forbid he would simply be trying to make it busy to spite me.:) :wh

thefitz

Reaction score
Hi Neil.(Chaucer) Yes the Wye Lea is a very nice stretch of river. Been guiding there for 4 years and very enyoyable. Finish at the end of this month and for my last season guiding could not have asked for a better finale. I have been a guest of the owners who are my friends.

Well done on your barbel captures on the syndicate Crookham stretch of the Kennet. Plenty of barbel there as well and to think you can fish the opposite bank just by joining the Thatcham Fishing club. Its often very peaceful and lots of fish.

Bit confused by the other posters comment about fishing there a couple of weekends ago though.

As I assist with the fishery daily he wasn't seen and his name is not listed as (as all anglers are)coming since being blacklisted.

Indeed its sad to say he was banned after a previous visit on the 7th August for unsporting behaviour and also listing a private/personal phone number on this site to the Owners home. (thank you mods for removing it)

I also re iterated his ban to him when I saw him on the Kennet as well as a couple of weeks after his 7th August visit. I left hi8m in no doubt he was not welcome.

So either he broke the ban and came again with an alias - and was not seen by either the baliff or me or is simply dreaming. Heaven forbid he would simply be trying to make it busy to spite me.:) :wh
Hi Graham, I did fish at the Wye Lea, when we arrived we drove past the grey haired old man in the dressing gown who waved at me and Fred, and the phone number you said you had removed still seems to be there. and is on many other sites as it is a day ticket fishery which you have to book to fish, And you say you are a Fishing Guide, I dont think running up and down the banks of The river Kennet is a good way to try and catch Barbel. do it in my swim again and i will report you to the Head Bailiff who i understand knows you very well, Regards Ray Thorpe

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hope you're well on the way to be fully recovered Ray.

Ah, that day, I remember it well. A great get together, nice little B&B pub afterwards too.

I didn't realise you had to go through a guide to fish the stretch, I did wonder at the time why the public number for booking a day on the fishery was deleted from your original post !

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Yes I remember it Fred.

As I said before it was the 7th August. (Actually it was the 6th) Would you like to confirm it.:wh

Therefore a post made in October made by a banned individual saying he had fished it at the weekend and caught fish might be considered..........inaccurate to FM members.

I am very clear who inspired it though. Just another example.

ps. If you find it hard to confirm the date Fred. It's in your August Blog. And it carries a remarkable reference to the same old man Ray mentions.

Last edited:

thefitz

Reaction score
Mods this is going to get nasty suggest you do somthing about it

Simon K

Reaction score
Why would that be Ray?

I fished there myself week before last (as an invited Guest) and my understanding is that the owners do NOT want their details plastered all over the 'net.

Maybe you should have had the courtesy to ask them first?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Mods only become interested when things descend into the pit of personal insults &/or against forum rules.

As for the phone number thing back in August, not only was it removed at the owners request, it then had to be removed for a second time.

(and again after some very recent editing - original post 28/8 edited by user yesterday 14/10!)

Not very clever!

Last edited:

Steve Pope

Reaction score
This thread and the other started by Mr. Elliott highlights the impossible job moderators have and let me say that the moderating on FM is of a very high standard.

I was far from impressed seeing Mr. Elliott name venues on this thread, a very underhand move that did not go un-noticed.

There is a word for that behaviour, snide.

The other thread was a deliberate provocation of a member on this site and a colleague of mine who at this moment has far more important issues to deal with.

So while not being against the forum rules I would almost guarantee that these threads will degenerate and would opine that was the sole purpose of the person I have named.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Perhaps I'm being naive, but this thread was started by Chaucer and solely responded to by Ray Thorpe. Graham Elliot says the information in the posts is not accurate.

The phone number posted on another thread by Ray Thorpe in August was removed, he posted it again the following day, we removed it again. The number reappeared yesterday on the six week old post, we deleted it.

Ray Thorpe seems to think "this is going to get nasty".

Steve Pope says "..threads will degenerate".

Only if they descend into the pit and then will be closed - shame.

Last edited:

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Neil,

It isn't a question of naivety its a question of history and ulterior motives of posters, moderators are rarely aware of the situation.

Once a poster puts something up which is meant to provoke a reaction that is the point a thread will go wrong from.

I'm not making any waves here, I said previously that no one is interested anymore, I hope Mr. Elliott takes that onboard

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes.

Scene fish and the scenes they can generate...

A Real-Life Scene

Location: The River Colne in north-west London, my "first river", the one I started on, together with the nearby Thames, at the age of four and a half.

Year: 2006

I was packing up after a three-hour afternoon-session on a stretch that had once only held manky dace, roach, chub and bream, plus a very few, by now ancient if the remanant old timers had bred and their progeny survived, barbel. I had had a fish, one of the latter, a fish of a few ounces over seven pounds, and, having returned it, was tying up my single rod and centrepin ready for a walk and a bus-ride home when two stylishly Desert Storm-camoed men appeared on the bank behind me then stopped.

"Paul Boote?" one of them said.

"Yes", I replied, recognizing a man I hadn't seen in twenty years since I had helped him go and fish mahseer in India at the request of an angler I'd met in the early 1980s who was the "mate" and boyhood neighbour of a very pal good of mine (still is), "Hello, XXXXXXX".

The two of us talked for a minute or two, with me sensing an edge to his voice and an "attitude" in his demeanour.

"Have you caught anything?" he finally said.

"No. Not a sausage." I replied, laughing. "Well, a three- or four-pound chub a little upriver..."

"But then you never did." he snapped back.

I was dumbstruck, but fielded a politely delivered "What?" back.

I watched a look of horror suddenly possess his companion's face, flashing the same at him and at the same time stepping in front of him, between him and me standing with foam-pad seat and ready-for-home rod and lashed-to-it landing net pole a few yards away beside the river.

I turned away, to complete my pre-departure routine. They drifted off, along the path upriver.

Such is Scene / Combat Fishing now, for some species such as Barbel (and Mahseer, and even Sea-Trout). Never taken part in it, never will, would rather give up fishing altogether and take up Tiddlywinks...

Last edited:

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Paul,

I've spent most of the day in Bewdley with Des Taylor recounting any number of stories from the past, at times I had tears of laughter streaming down my cheeks...............Des is a vey funny man.

The moral is that fishing is fun and those are the times we truly remember, life really is too short to dwell on kids stuff.

I'm the wrong side of sixty but still think I'm a youngster, I just have no time for those who could start a fight in an empty room.

Out on the river again for three days, funnily enough on the Wye, and my enthusiasm is as great as its ever been.

Scene/combat fishing............good title, but if anyone really is inolved in that sort of fishing they really need to sort themselves out.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Scene/combat fishing............good title, but if anyone really is inolved in that sort of fishing they really need to sort themselves out.

Indeed they do, Steve. Some, in their "love" (make that obsession, in the absence of intelligence and a life) of mere fish are now shading in old Mosleyite Black Shirt political views - “Black Bin Liners Full Of Barbel” - Barbel Fishing World Forums

Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me - Immos, otters , whatever...

Not merely terribly sad, but just a bit worrying.

Simon K

Reaction score
Perhaps I'm being naive, but this thread was started by Chaucer and solely responded to by Ray Thorpe. Graham Elliot says the information in the posts is not accurate.

The phone number posted on another thread by Ray Thorpe in August was removed, he posted it again the following day, we removed it again. The number reappeared yesterday on the six week old post, we deleted it.

Ray Thorpe seems to think "this is going to get nasty".

Steve Pope says "..threads will degenerate".

Only if they descend into the pit and then will be closed - shame.

Steve,

Read the emboldened type.

Who's being snide?

And who's "backed up" his mate on this unpleasantness, despite having "far more important issues to deal with"?

Either you don't know your colleagues as well as you should like, or your posts makes you complicit in this chicanery.

You said, "I was far from impressed seeing Mr. Elliott name venues on this thread, a very underhand move that did not go un-noticed."

The ONLY reference Graham has made to any venue on this thread (started by others) is:
"Yes. The Wye Lea is a very nice stretch of river."

"Underhand"? :confused:

Give it a rest. We're not fools.

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Simon,

Firstly, any issues between individuals should not have to appear on here especially when they are deeprooted elsewhere.

I politely request that you read the thread again and look out for venues being named, you are wrong in your omment regarding named venues.

I'll ignore your last sentence in view of what I have just said.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It appears to me that this thread, and a lot of the posts on it, are the result of long standing arguments and upsets from other sites.

Why on earth these are being aired here on FishingMagic I haven't a clue!

This thread will be closed or deleted if it descends into posts that contrave the Rules and/ot the T&C's for FM.