rolling meat

Paul Boyle 2

Reaction score
Hello all
Been reading a lot lately about the rolling method,personaly i havent done much,im out on the teme tomorow [hopefully]
and was thinking of giving it a try,i was going with free running lead[enough to hold bottom]and flicking the rod tip to dislodge it and let it run a few feet,wait a little time,and flick the rod tip again and so,has anyone used this technique before ??
I also hear that using plastacine is a great way to,so you do not lose your lead incase it will get snagged up,it will simply pull of the line.
any help on this subjuct will be greatly apricated..
atb paul b.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
You could do with finding Ray Walton's site. I've had a quick look for it myself and can't find it right now.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
rolling or trundling bait down a swim is all about criticly balanced baits either directly via the hook or by a dragged weight or combination of both and is probably better suited to moderate to slow rivers and not too deep and prefably clear but you should be able with practice use this method on any river with suitable swims,

you need to find the point where the bait will hold on the bottom against the flow you then have the choice of either imparting movement by lifting the rod tip or give the line a tweak to temporarily lift the bait just clear of the bottom & so be pushed along a short distance by the current or you can after you find the point of balance against the flow to just pick away at your bait or weight so the bait resists the flow but just moves along the bottom at the speed of flow or slightly less if thats possible on its own accord

this is a extention of touch ledgering,you need to hold the line or have it run over your fingertips at a 90?ish angle to your rod and about 10-12" away in a bow which can be facilitated by using a centrepin but this isn't neccassary

you can cast up or down stream you need to think about where to cast so it starts above where the fish are/might be so the bait enters the fishes semi panaramic field of vission asto look and behave like a free othering.

critically balancing the weight of your bait is done by adding lead wire to the shank of the hook near to the eye and/or a weight can be added directly to your line which will act as a drag on the bait its a good idea to use a weight that can be freely pulled off the line under tention in case the mainline breaks or you encounter a snag (most likley sooner or later )so your mainline doesnt get stuck fast or act as a tether to any fish.a good weight [covering wrap}is non-toxic plasterzine type modelling clay or heavy tungston this can be used on its own or used to cover a small olivette or ssg or bigger splitshot.
the placement of the weight on the line will affect how the bait behaves and moves through the swim it can be placed as close as a couple of inches to a foot or so much depends on the swim and the flow so some experimenting whilst fishing is needed to fine tune the rig a good starting point is 8" the closer to the bait the more it'll be kept near the bottom but there is the size of bait to be considered as well

baits can be anything from a couple of grains of wheat/hemp to big chunks of luncheon meat.

a softmeat bait can be prevented from hooks pulling through by pushing the hook through it ,turn the hook & slip a maggot onto the bend of the hook then sink the point back into the meat or use a small piece of dried spagetty or bit of dried straw or grass as a hairstop between hookbend and meat.

braid gives better registration of bites than to fine mono but a stiffer (florocarbon) line should give a good responce

bites can be very subtle ping or great big tugs the differculty is in distinguishing the bites from bottom bumps and crashes ect

B

Bully

But Chav, in floods? Is rolling meat in a heavily flooded river (which from the title Paul implies) really feasible?

Paul Whiteing

Reaction score
Unfortunately Ray has 'lost' his domain name, it has been bought by someone else, so his site is unavailable until he gets something sorted.

paul4

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Paul Boyle.
Don't give up on rolling meat etc. in Floods.

In fact one of the key benefits is that moving around, and trying many swims helps you to locate where the fish are holding up in those conditions.

It also helps you understand that water surface activity doesn't tell the full story of what the astrength of the flow is along the bottom

I prefer to use the minimum amount of extra weight possible.

Chavender describes the way to do it very well.

Graham

Paul McDonald

Reaction score
Anyone devised a method of rolling a hookbait and line downstream through a low resistance ring or tube attached to a cast out leger that stays put while the line runs through ???????????

Ross

Reaction score
Anyone know anywhere that stocks lead wire to wrap around the hook - or in the absence of lead, a suitable alternative that will be heavy enough?

Thanks,

Ross

R

Ray Wood 1

Try Nash they were doing it in a couple of sizes, I have some from them myself bought a while back.

Hope that is of some help.

Ray/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Ross

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give them a go! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Nick Mitchell

Reaction score
Electrical solder! Any hardware store should do it in various diameters. Its basically just lead and tin anyway.