Hair Rigs

Rich P

Reaction score
Hi all - probably a daft question but once the pellets are threaded onto the hair rig, is the loop enough to keep them on or should I be using some kind of stop?

I'm fishing a weirpool on a smallish river in the North West, if that's relevant.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers...

B

Bully

Drill a hole thru pellet.

Pull thru hair, with loop in it I assume?

So why would you not require a stop?

So yes, unless I am missing something?

Rich P

Reaction score
Hi Bully - no, you're not missing anything. I guess I didn't explain well enough. Once the loop had been threaded through, what kind of stop should be used the hold the pellet on the hair?

Cheers, Rich

D

Dave Burr

Rich

Yes, you need a hair stop or the pellet will come off or be pulled off by chub etc.

You also need to keep it all tight, try putting a float stop on the hair first then push it up to keep the pellet touching the hair stop.

Or best of all, glue the pellet to the hair, its quick, easy and secure.

Jonathan Whitham

Reaction score
Rich,

Standard method is to pull the hair loop through the hole you drilled in the pellet and then put a dumbell shaped stop on the hair. Personally I've never found it necessary to have pellet tight against the hook, but that's just me. Worth taking a look at the rigs page for John Conway's banded pellet rig.

Hope this helps.

john charlton 2

Reaction score
Try the fox pegs,there brilliant no chance of your pellet falling off!
what rivers that rich?

L

Leigh

You may find you miss the chub bites when hair rigging as they can often take very tentatively... unlike greedy barbel.

Try using a bait band or gluing the pellet to the hook and you'll notice the difference in hook-ups.

Rich P

Reaction score
Thanks for all the good advice.

John, it's the River Goyt at Stockport.

Cheers

W

Wolfman Woody

Sorry Rich P, just noticed it -

Try these.

You may have to tie your hair a little shorter when using them, unless you like long hairs.

PS. The Goyt was at one time one of the most polluted river in England. Thank heaven things have changed.

Rich P

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Woody....

Re; the Goyt - yes a remarkable turnaround. I've had two brown trout in the past week, both on swimfeedered maggots.

On the subject of hair rigs, can all fish be caught with their use? Or is it that voracious eaters like barbel, carp and chub are the only commonly caught species? I ask because I was getting bites today, without any luck and it struck me that the hook might be a little too far from the bait.

Any thoughts?

njb51

Reaction score
I use this rig.

Holds the pellet securely and the band will shrink as the pellet shrinks, keeping it secure for longer.

Maverick

Reaction score
I just glue the pellets to the hair (braid) - seems easier than drilling, though i keep meaning to have a dabble with bands.

In answer to Rich P, while i'm usually intending to catch barbel and chub on pellets i've had minnows, gudgeon, perch, trout, eels and even several legitimately hooked pike!

clam

Reaction score
Fox pellet stops i find best to use.Just tie a loop onto the end of your hair,thread on the pellet then add the stop.Just make sure you take care when drilling the pellets that you dont split them.

captain carrott

Reaction score
"On the subject of hair rigs, can all fish be caught with their use? Or is it that voracious eaters like barbel, carp and chub are the only commonly caught species?"

chub might be considered voracious but you're on a hiding to nothing trying to catch em on a hair.

get the bait on the hook or as close to it as you possibly can for chub.

i've sat and watched chub pick up baits in their lips on hair rigs, back off a bit then spit them out.

Rich P

Reaction score
I caught a chub on a hair earlier this week but, as captain carrot implies, it was probably a one off - a double 8mm pellet.

Clam, thanks for the tip - the fox stops are great.

B

Bully

I agree re the chub. They can be caught on hair rigs, especially if they are really "having it", but I cannot think of any situation where a hair would be preferable.

Paul Martin 5

Reaction score
Why don't you make a loop thats around 30mm in length. Drill the 14mm pellet out in the normal way, along its length. Pull through the 30mm loop in the hair and then loop it back and around the pellet, so its effectively lassooed (spelling?) on. It works a treat, believe me.