stratford upon avon

dave bailey

Reaction score
hello i`ve got a cottage on the avon park site half a mile below stratford upon avon next week 30 june for a week,i`ve never fished the river before,supposed to be 1 1/2 miles of fishing looking to get some decent barbel,could anybody tell me if its a good area for them cheers

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
It was never a very good stretch Dave, a few bits but not a lot of anything and I have never heard of barbel along there.

The problem with that stretch is the boats that have left the bottom of the river like soft tar with all the discharged oil and diesel.

The town water opposite the Shakespeare theatre is a good stretch for general fishing but if you want barbel get a ticket for Seven Meadows and fish by the weir. They aren't big but there are some half decent ones down there. Bit of a walk but its flat and not a problem if you are young and fit.

The Lido (Leamington AA) water down below the caravan stretch used to be a great water but I believe its gone into a bit of a decline recently.

dave bailey

Reaction score
thanks graham at least i know what to expect the seven meadows stretch sounds the best bet,will beat shopping with the wife,as for the fit bit i was about 20 years ago.once again thanks hope to return the favour