Have pellets washed out barbel

J

Jack Pike BA

I have noticed that recently I have caught more barbel on boilies than on pellets and towards the end of last season absolutely nothing on pellets at all my last double in March was on a boillie so have they lost the touch. Same with this season nothing on pellets boilies scoring each time

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I don't think so at all, the pellet was and still is probably the best all round and convenient bait there is for the barbel angler as well as the 'any fish' angler like myself both as a hook bait or as feed.

Yesterday I fished the Severn a mile above Bewdley and caught three barbel all on pellet and this on a water that is very popular and must see tons of pellets every season. In this case I used the 8mm 'S' pellets on the hook and 4mm halibut pellets through a Drennan oval feeder and apart from the three barbel I had loads of chub, roach to a pound and even a nice dace of 6oz all on a 10lb Silstar Match hooklength and a size 12 hook. So no, I don't think pellets are finished not by a long chalk.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
It all depend on the pellet...One pellet is not the same as the rest.

Big variance in quality

Go to TEMESEVERN.CO.UK

Now these are pellets!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Lee, suppliers like those (and there are lots of them) are maybe ok if you have group of anglers to divide the cost among or you have someone who can collect them direct otherwise they work out far too expensive, for instance a 5 kilo bucket of elipse pellets works out at ?3.55 a kilo including postage. Just how many hooker pellets can one angler get through in a season anyway?

Dynamite pellets are as good as any and I think that ?2.99 is as much as I would want to pay, too much really but if you want them you have to pay for them.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Graham.
Dynimites are only 900g bags so the elipse are only 30p more.

I get mine from CC Moores works out at less than ?2 a kilo. Last me all season

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

"Has anyone had any luck with sweetcorn this season?"

A wicked Barbel bait and mostly ignored nowadays, its either pellet pellet pellet or boilie boilie boilie.

To many firms out nowadays offering this that and the other. Get on this get on that. If you aint got this then you aint gonna catch that, heard it all seen it all, it wont change.

Make your own mind up, i'll out fish most nowadays with 2-3 tins of corn which will cost me less than a quid, same goes with meat.

All good fun init.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Funny you should say that Wol, my mate Johnny Jones fished sweetcorn on the float yesterday for chub and roach on the Severn and lost three decent barbel but that was mainly down to the fact that he was using a 16 hook I reckon, they were hook pulls not breakages.

Me, I love corn on a pool but I have never had much luck with it on the river so it is a bit of a confidence thing I guess but I will bow to your superior knowledge and maybe I will give it another go.

W

Sweetcorn. Its a salt thing, or maybe on the Ouse it was, sussed it pretty quick though, have a play.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Wol, on one barbel water I've got on well with corn but on another it's cack. It's right that people should try it though.

ps. Do you have any Queenfords left? I managed to leave mine drying out somewhere. I can't quite remember which venue but I suspect someone else found it!

David Craine

Reaction score
I have only caught 1 Barb on Meat on the Ribble, I have tried in flood,and summer levels, plain meat, spicy, garlic... they just are not interested.I have not tried corn,although it may work for the Chub,Halibut pellets seem to be the catch all bait.Bigger the better.Which I suppose is good as it limits what you need to take, I never bother at all with Maggot, or Caster, they just seem to attract the small fish.I have only used Boilies once, which did produce 1 fish.I do however still experiment with other little used or made up baits.

W

Matt, mail me using the PM thing and i'll sort you one out.