Bait Droppers

john broomfield 1

Reaction score
I have never used one or even seen one used. Sounds a daft question but how do you use them?

E

EC

Attach them to your mainline, and drop them in the water. When they hit the bottom a mechanism opens up the front of the baitdropper and allows the bait to be deposited on the bottom.

Reaction score
Beware the new Fox baitdropper.

In principle it is a superb bit of kit; the interchangeable weights are great for differing flow levels and it has a large capacity that is ideal for big rivers, but after eight casts the door fell off!

It is only clipped in, not securely hinged.

Try the Seymo ones instead.

E

EC

Funny that ****y, I thought they looked good, thanks for the info.

I have been waiting (5weeks) for a Fox med or small model from my local self proclaimed 'angling supercentre' (they currently only have kick ass 8oz large models).

I'll have a closer look tomoz.

J

Jeff Spiller

Now you tell me, just bought a Fox dropper.

Eddie I hear your in the market for a new bait dropper !

****y bet you were surprised when you reeled it in and said only nice thing's about Fox :)

N

Neil Blood

Agree about the new Fox model. Not cheap and very flimsy in its construction (I have 2 gathering dust in the garage).

Although difficult to obtain, I rate the Fred Crouch dropper as the most reliable. Not the biggest around either but easy to lob out and generally opens first time.

Using droppers in general and even at close range can take some getting use to, as they have a habit of hitting the river bed on their back and fail to open. Also on hitting the water they can submerge and shoot off at strange angles. With small/medium sized droppers it can help to place a small pike float/or large loafer 6' above the dropper, as this helps to keep it in the desired vertical position as it sinks.

Neil

Reaction score
Jeff,

?I think 'Fox that for a lark!' was the exact phrase...

It?really would be the ultimate 'big river' dropper if they had thought to secure the lid...doh!

Excuse the <p's> some sort of teccie problem

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
johnbroomfield ,just for you (now we have pictures)
072690.jpg

( click to enlarge )

john broomfield 1

Reaction score
Ok so got the general principle of how they work. next question

Can you cast them out any sort of distance or are they generaly intended for close in work. Most of the swimsI fish are are 15 to 25 yds away. So in the main use PVA bags or mesh. Would a bait dropper work or would it empty on hitting the water.

Chris Owen 2

Reaction score
Just purchased a fox dropper yesterday was looking forward to using it tonight?

Might try superglueing the door onto the latch somehow

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
John,

15 to 25yds is ideal for a bait dropper.

Chris,

You just wasted your money on something you have to fix before it can do the job you bought it for, go get your money back.

Chris Owen 2

Reaction score
Ray

You are probably right but against my better judgement i will give it a go and see how i fair.

Will let you know how i get on.

Chris

john broomfield 1

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice with this wet summer using PVA has been a bit of a problem. Will buy some bait droppers, looks like the Fox is one to avoid

john broomfield 1

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice with this wet summer using PVA has been a bit of a problem. Will buy some bait droppers, looks like the Fox is one to avoid

E

EC

I bought a small Seymo in the week John, only used it a few times, but opened on every occasion andas yet have had no problems.

E

Eric Hayes

I should imagine you could modify the Fox dropper with a cable tie. The plastic Themsley dropper suffers from a similar thingwith the door coming a drift (forgive the pun)but you can adapt it by putting a small cable tie thru where the hing is.

E

Eric Hayes

I like theones made out of atuna tin, a coat hanger, cable ties & a bullet lead to pull it down thru the water. The trouble is when you looseone your moregutted than you would be with one you've payed forbecause of the time, love & effortyou've put into its manufacture.

I callall my home made droppers petnames like Brenda or pauline.I lost Marian last year to a nasty snag,Iwas frettingfor almost a week./forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gifbut I'mall butover her./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif