Mono Hooklength

M

Matthew White

Hi All

I have decided that before I start to experiment with different braids I want to just stay basic and use mono hooklengths.I have been looking around the web but still have no idea which type of mono to go for.I want some in 10lb bs.

Any suggestions?

peter lawler

Reaction score
hi mat try shimano silk shock get the strongest available, it's diameter is good to it's breaking strain. its in my box thats not here so I can't get it out and look. I think it works out at 16 lb bs at 0;25. I only use this line with running rigs because its a pre stretched line.climax tackle (dronfield) stock it .compare this to say korda IQ at 10 lbbs.with out giving the game away, over the years and with a bit of experience different lines are better doing one method of fishing than another. ie maxima is a sinking stretchy feeder line, the more it stretches the lower diameter you can get away with. I hope this helps mate and fishing.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Matthew if you have reel line in ten pounds I would start with that and see how you get on,no need to buy all these fancy pre stretched lines at a premium price .

johnnyfby

Reaction score
i have tried various monos, stroft gtm, silk shock, and other pre stretched lines. in the end you just cannot beat maxima. fished trent all last month, fishing 8lb braid to 15yds of 8lb maxima, with a five pound hooklength. Caught at least 20 barbel and 2 doubles, didnt get broke once, rod is a 13 foot carbotec forgiving but seriously powerful. hope this helps

A

Albert Watkinson 2

matthew.daiwa sensor is cheap and reliable and also shimano catana.
albert

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I have messed about with all sorts in my time but I always end up on Pro Gold in 10 or Pro Clear in 12.Both are excellent.

Pro Gold in particular is awesome stuff.You could tow a destroyer with it yet its limp,supple,knots well and is nigh on unbreakable.At £15 for 1000 yds PG is pretty good value too.

I use PG for everything.Its never,ever let me down.

The Master

Reaction score
Pro Gold and clear are both very good but be careful when the line takes on a dull matt appearance it is starting to weaken and has let me down when it has been in this state, it just seems to snap like cotton.

I suppose all lines are like this but to me has only ever been really noted with pro gold/clear

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Never noticed this myself with PG but I've alwaystended to change my reel line regularly anyway.I can't reconcile paying £2-300 for a barbel outfit and then not paying attention to the line....and lets face it dodgy line is the last thing you want if you're after barbel whatver your preferred brand might be.

Incidentally I only ever use Pro Clear as a hooklength.Tried it as a reel line andwasn't happy so its 10lb PG reel line with a 12lb PC hooklink for me 9 times out of 10.

Everybody has their favourites.My mate swears by Double Strength but I wont have it in the house let alone in my box.

The Master

Reaction score
Yes agree with that brian eachman to his own,, but double strength not even fit for tying up the runner beans

David Craine

Reaction score
Tried all sorts, and honestly I have found there is very little difference between any mono hooklengths I have tried, when the river is up and cloured ,if the fish want the bait, they take it...I am presently using Flourocarbon hooklengths, more because I have about 50yards of the stuff to use up. I will say that if I do find the mono Iam using at the time inferior I have no qualms about ditching it. In summer when levels are low and river is clear, I do tend to be more selective, and find flourocarbon has a definate edge.

Only tried Braid hooklengths once, and could not get on with it at all.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
David

Agreed.I havetried loads of lines over the years and ditched miles of the stuff when I wasn't happy with it.I cannot sit there waiting for what may be my one chance wondering if the new "wonder line"I've just put onis up to it.I've actually re-spooled on the bank because of this before I realised that if I'd taken my bulk spool of PG with me then I clearly wasn't happy with what I'd put on....so off it came.

Like you I can't get on with braid though I feel I ought to and I suppose my view will change if I ever get agood fish on it.I follow the logic of it all but it still looks like string to me.

I use fluoro exclusively when I'm trouting but every now and then I get broken and whereas I dont really care about losingthe odd trout I do care about losing a big barbel.I may persevere but most of my barbelling is done in the autumn/winter and I dont think it offers any real advantage in coloured water.As you say when its like that and they want it they will have it.

Wurzel

Reaction score
Matthew,

Ultima Power Plus in 10lb is definitely worth a go. Been using it in 10lb & 12lb bs for the past two seasons. Have to agree with Albert Watkinson and say that Shimano Catana is also top notch, but i have that on my reels as a main line in both 10lb and 12lb. 10lb Catana breaks at something like 16lbs which aint bad for a 0.30mm line.

Wurzel