Brolly Recommendation

alex_molloy

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i am looking for a new brolly for the new season, i would like one thats obviously light as i will be walking a couple mile will all my gear, and one that can deal will a little wind, thanks Alex

A

alan whittington

Its a korum for me mate,they do a lighter version(which my mate says is great),but i have the heavier metal ribbed version,good bit of kit imo.:w

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I could recommend a few good brolly's (inc Korum Alan!) but to be honest, do you really want to be humping a great big thing like that around with you? I would get yourself a good waterproof suit instead, tracker, Korum and Chub do good ones for £100, about the same price as a good brolly!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I got a leeda one from argos a few years ago ,not the best quality but its light and has kept me dry and warm on many an occasion, fifteen squids.
Better than sitting in a down pour, waterproof suit or not anyday!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Korum £45 best brolly in windy conditions, pegs and rings included.
Not sure what the ribs are made from but they are flexible and held in with velcro flaps, if it blows inside out you can reset it, not chuck it away.
Bit heavy though TBH.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Sorry to be a damp Squid, or maybe I was unlucky.

The Korum Brolly I bought split the top section where the supports gather after the faintest breeze. It was poorly made IMHO.

The Leeda one suggested earlier was a far better buy.

I think Maver Brollies are excellent, but a bit heavy.

Graham

A

alan whittington

I really think you were unlucky Graham,or i and 4 mates have been very lucky,it can happen,off putting at the very least.

Mark,i really wouldnt bother to go if i thought i was going to get everything wet,i like to tie my rigs with dry hands at my leisure,i also feel a lot warmer not having water dripping from every orafice,i'll chance the weight.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Possible got the Friday afternoon one Graham - mine's had a hard life without complaints.
Jerry

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
I know many are happy with the Korum. Mine broke the first time I used it. The top spider type fitting made of a soft wire snapped into pieces.

Korum is generally good gear but they have a few faults. Their 2 rod quiver holdall for example, not the total protection one, has balance issues on the shoulder if used for a 2 piece 12 ft rod.

I am sure the testing was with a 3 piece rod with more lower weight.

Its a real nuisance when you have to keep adjusting it as it swings around when walking. Strap siting was the main problem I think.

Graham

xenon

Reaction score
slightly off-topic but it does drive me mad just how heavy a lot of fishing gear is- especially when compared to mountaineering kit (tents etc.), fishing gear is still in the bloody stone age! Rant over.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I really think you were unlucky Graham,or i and 4 mates have been very lucky,it can happen,off putting at the very least.

Mark,i really wouldnt bother to go if i thought i was going to get everything wet,i like to tie my rigs with dry hands at my leisure,i also feel a lot warmer not having water dripping from every orafice,i'll chance the weight.

Sorry Alan, I meant to say when stalking and going light!
I have a superb brolly system (well, for the money anyway!) and that is the pro-logic. It is a superb piece of kit and comes with storm poles, good solid pegs and has the option of a overwrap that is also supplied with storm poles, all this for £99 (£60 for the overwrap) it is well made too and a bit lighter than most, I had a serious look at the wychwood solace and a fantastic piece of kit it is but it's downside is that it is dam heavy!!
Take a look on the Harris Sportsmail website at the Pro-Logic and you can make your own mind up!

Beaker

Reaction score
I use an Argos brolly which I have abused for 8 years and it still comes back for more.
I am however saving for a system for summer overnighters.

terry m

Reaction score
I know many are happy with the Korum. Mine broke the first time I used it. The top spider type fitting made of a soft wire snapped into pieces.

My Korum brolly failed in exactly the same place after only about 3 seasons. Rubbish design.

I had a 45" brolly in the 70's/80's that was used all the time and lasted 3 times as long.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
mine's had a hard life without complaints.
Jerry

What...the wife or the brolly ?

I've got a Korum but its not been wet yet. I hope its not a problem waiting to happen because it seems very good to me.

The Wychwood Solace is fantastic but [as Mark says] its heavy and having watched a guy erecting/dismantling one at a Game Fair it is NOT something that you want to be thinking of doing quickly. TBH its more shelter than brolly.

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
On the face of it the quality is good but as with everything it is only as good as the weakest point.

Check out the twisted wire that retains the circle of ribs in the top centre. Not good!

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Terry. I would have been happy with 3 years!

Seriously, There was a wind just above a breeze and it just gave up. S-Kippy, it seems that there may have been some production problems with a batch according to a Korum Representative. They never offered to replace it though!!!!!

Good point to check the section for any splitting/weaknesses though IMO.

I even tried to re wire it without success.

Graham

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score

alex_molloy

Reaction score
Thankyou for all your responses, I have seen the korum brollys and as this thread shows i have heard positive and negative comments about them, the wychwood brolly looks and sounds good, im planning to go down to the local tackle shop in the next couple of days to see them both and see which i prefer, thanks again for all your comments, Alex

murv

Reaction score
I have the Maver one (with the straight bottom edge)
I've not had it long, but am not overly impressed with build quality/£ so far, but I'll see how it fares.

It is light though, so I end up taking it "just in case" a lot more often than the old one

alex_molloy

Reaction score
yh i always used to take my old one just incase but it was only a cheap one and lastest about a season with not much use until it started leaking