Running or semi-fixed?

Chris Evans 4

Reaction score
Without wanting to start a debate on the use of semi-fixed set up and that running rigs are safer and the whole nine yards.

What do you use and why? I always use a lead clip style set up with the thought if i do get a fish to pick up a bait i have a fair chance of nailing it !

The reason I right this thread is that it would seem from various reading of books threads and articles and so on that more people use a running set up. What do you believe the advantage of this is??

Cheers Chris.

F

Fred Bonney

I use a running lead/feeder all the time, Chris.

I think that it gives the fish a bit of movement with the bait, without it feeling the tension of a fixed weight.

Having said that,there are those who say that there is no such thing as a running ledger.

Maybe because,unless it's a direct pull in a straight line through the link, a fish will feel tension anyway.

Chris Evans 4

Reaction score
Cheers Fred,

I think its one of those things you just have Do you use any beads or special run rings etc??

Chris

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been covered already or not. Where can I find a good selection of rigs with diagrams and how to set them up for feeder/method/leger rigs. There only seems to be a few on here, are there any books specifically about feeder/leger fishing which talk you through how to tie rigs with diagrams?? Not looking for a carp fishing book though. Cheers guys

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Korum do some useful quick change beads and snap links - I use these when fishing a running rig - and I'm with Fred, i use a running rig all the time when feeder fishing

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

siliconstoprig.jpg

Just by adjusting the position of thesilicon float stops you can have a fixed, semi-fixed or sliding rig that's also safe for the fish.

F

Fred Bonney

Chris,I use a tulip bead to protect the knot on the swivel to my hooklength otherwise just a quick release clip to change weight/feeder.

Reaction score
Also

On Graham's rig above, one of the rubber stops can be pushed up the line a couple of feet or so to act as a stop for leaves etc when fishing an autumn river. You still get leaves on the line but less slip down towards the business end.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Jesus this leger/feeder rig business looks confusing, I really want to give it a go, have bought a feeder rod, got most of the bits, but all these stops/clips with beads etc I didn't know I needed! Going to have to do some serious reading up!

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Macca

Have a look on this site - there are some good articles on all aspects of fishing - there's bound to be something on feeder fishing.

I use a similar set up to the picture - most tackle shop stock these bits - there are loads of versions but kee pit simple is the best advice I've found

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
I will definitely be keeping it simple, I would rather stick with a simple rig rather than some intricate thing and mess it up or it not to be safe to the fish. Will have a scout about on here tonight when I have some spare time, would still like a book specifically on the topic just so I feel more confident, won't be dangling my tackle in the water until I am sure I have the rig set up just right.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Macca_EFC wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I will definitely be keeping it simple, I would rather stick with a simple rig rather than some intricate thing and mess it up or it not to be safe to the fish.</blockquote>

The rig I posted above can be a simple bomb or feeder rig, with a mono hooklength if you wish. The main point the picture is making is the two silicon float stops which can be adjusted on a conventional running rig to make it semi or totally fixed. But not to the point where a fish isn't safe from tethering.

Y

yoggy

Hi Chris, Running for me as well mate.

Just like my Barbel this season!!!!!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

David Craine

Reaction score
I concur with Fred Bonney, free running lead always, then I have fewer fears of a fish getting tethered in the event of a line break.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
On the ribble it's always a running rig. Tried semi fixed but the clip occasionally got caught between the rocks.

Chris Evans 4

Reaction score
All thanks for the responces. It would appear running is the favoured method but why? Like i said I am very confident about the safety of using lead clips and have no quarms about using them, it being very easy to eject the lead.

HoweverFred is the only one who has answered the questionwhy he believes running to be the best rig !!

Cheers Chris.

C

Coops

If you are sitting on your hands waiting for a wrap round I don't think there is a distinct advantage to either.

If you believe that barbel will pick up and eject a bait, causing a quick knock which most people put down to chub, then you might want to try touch legering with a running lead, especially if using meat on the hook. You can feel a fish pick up the bait and can feed it line until it takes confidently. Barbel will pick up a bait and discard it if they feel resistance. With a semi fixed lead you probably won't even know its happened.

F

Fred Bonney

"You can feel a fish pick up the bait and can feed it line until it takes confidently."

I fish that way with no weight at all, apart from the quarter tin of PLM.