IRONBRIDGE

slime monster

Reaction score
its twenty years since i wetted a line on the severn at ironbridge,iused to live in stafford 30 miles away from it.

the town and power station stretches i knew very well ,im booked for along weekend in july staying below the bridge near new brdge. can anyone give me info on day tickets on bank?',over the whole ironbridge length and fast water info jackfield .......canoes?????

any info would be great

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I may be mistaken but I think the whole stretch both banks from the power station down to below the new bridge is day ticket on the bank or free water.

The only exceptions to this are the power station it's self and the canoe club at Jackfield, The day ticket water on the left bank continues down to the caravan site below Sweeneycliffe house but stops by the 16th century inn, (the name of which I can't remember), on the right bank.

I should mention that the day ticket water on the left bank also extends upstream from the dale end park all the way to about a mile above Buildwas where it meets the water controlled by Leighton AS which are well signposted.

There is also a short stretch which was controlled by KDAA but is now abandoned but that is a hell of a trek to reach it and tbh the other waters are equally as good.

Be warned though.......the whole lot can be a bit pegy and last year a couple of shoals of resident fish were conspicuous by their absence.

marcus ballam

Reaction score
I spent the weekend at ironbridge at the end of june, a couple of years ago, and fished below the new bridge.

I found the barbel did'nt start feeding until dusk, and then stopped around 3am, although the river was very low so this may have had some bearing on their feeding times.

A word of warning though, the weekend I was there, there was a lot of "undesirables" on the bank at night (flashing torches, VERY loud music, shouting to each other across the river etc), and loads of angling related litter. I am told this can be quite common through the summer.

If this does'nt bother you too much, then go for it, if not, it may be worth finding a stretch a little further out of town.

slime monster

Reaction score
thanks marcus,

had to visit my ill father in stafford this weekend stayed the night in ironbridge, i am staying on my trip right by the new bridge, it looked great ....there was noise from the pub but by dusk i will be in there with them ,and anyway they would not want to bump into me in the dark.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The problem with Ironbridge is lack of bailiffs, you won't get asked for a ticket or a club card and all the local scallys who live in the estate, (Woodside), at the top of the hill take advantage of the fact.

Most of them are decent lads but they don't know the meaning of the country code or fishing etiquette which is why I usually give the place a miss until after the first frosts when they seem to disappear.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dawley still control that bit of the river, (right bank looking downstream), day ticket again and if you fish opposite the wharfage at least you can keep an eye on your car.

That stretch has thrown up the odd lunker over the last few years but it is normally anglers fishing the Avenue water in the park on the rowing club side who catch the bigger ones.

We have also got a tackle shop in the square now, fresh Maggots on a Friday and a reasonable selection of other baits and end tackle should you run out, the number is 01952 433040.

You will also notice a big difference in the people using the town these days, It has gone quite upmarket, (for Telford), with allot of middle class Merc and Range Rover drivers strolling the riverside with the pastel pringle pullover draped over their shoulders as they roam from pub to pub.

A

Albert Watkinson 2

hope you lads dont mind.i fished the pegs above the broken down abbey in the 70s and had great success on double maggot 2 thirds accross from the abbey.used a gallon every time all in daylight till 7 at night.state of the river,--4 inches above summer normal and falling.hey i am 81 today and will be down there in the new season.
albert

A

Albert Watkinson 2

many thanks,i still dream about it.had a 8/12down there in 70.it was a good fish then.double white on a mustad 16s.happy days.
albert

A

Albert Watkinson 2

that big barbel catcher steve stayner kindly put it his book.
albert

A

Albert Watkinson 2

hi robert,perhaps we could compare notes this coming season on a little river much nearer.know what i mean harry?.

slime monster

Reaction score
just returned from ironbridge river very low gin clear and non productive not helped by high temperatures and blazing sun ,titus was spot on in his post my thanks to him,the area now has a new bailiff who informed me that the peg i was fishing produced a publicised river record the previous week.....oh well