front drag reel recomendations

Wigan Stu

Reaction score
im looking for a decent front drag reel for the forthcoming season ,

i'll be targetting the barbel , mainly touch ledgering

ive looked at the team daiwa 3012 , the double handle version , its around the £85 mark

i know the TDR is alledgedly a better reel , but i hate the colours

any other recomendations ?

cheers

stu

Wigan Stu

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

Reaction score
I have used the now discontinued regal xi-ab for the last few seasons and at ?44.99 its a steal, only one has one let me down by making a noise when turning the handle, i am going to retrieve it from the shop and take it apart to fid the problem. But they are decent reliable reels, that are mega smooth and have 10 ball bearings i think + airbail

Ryan

P.s. the shimano reels are worth looking at as are the daiwas but for service it would have to be a shimano

Milo

Reaction score
I've got 6 Maver Tica reels ranging from a small one for my float road, to their Sportera equivalent to the Shimano Baitrunners and they've been great for me...

Wigan Stu

Reaction score
heard good things about the tica's , gonna have to take alook at them

D

Dave Burr

I've used Okuma Epix Pro's for a good few years with little trouble but bought a couple of Fox Stratos 7000's last month. They lack the cranking power ofthe Epix but are lovely reels and only £45 each.

Sinned

Reaction score
Diawa TDR is a brilliant Barbel reel, despite the colours. Great drag, line lay, winding power, superb anti-twist hollow bail arm, brilliant spool and land verrrrrry light. It's easy to reach the spool with the finger for extra drag in a fight unlike other reels and feels as solid as a rock.

Used one for a year now and it balances a rod nicely, and if you hold the rod a lot you will feel the benefit. Great for lure fishing with braid too. I was sceptical of the 'twistbuster' feature but it really works. Comes with a spare wide alloy spool.

The colour is too wild for me but it's the best front drag reel I've ever used. Wasn't keen on front drag at first after using 5000GTE's but I'm converted now.

E

EC

Stu, I got 2 mid range abu baitrunner's last year for tinca's, and they've beensuperb, have a look at their range mate.

ggh

Reaction score
Shimano all the way!!! I've got a Nexave 4000 FA which I use fof barbel and it also doubles up as my lure fishing reel with braid on the spare spool. It has hauled in low double pike with ease, abargain at less than £30.

Doz

Reaction score
If you dont like the colours of the TDR then try this

http://www.anglingcentre.net/acatalog/s_heroxvr05.html

i've got a previous version that i've used for stalking for 2 seasons now and there's no reel to touch it for the drag.

its got amazing cranking power for such a small reel, light, short foot, amazing line lay, shop around though as i paid £40-£50 2 years ago.