Early Season Barbel

S

Sean Meeghan

Thanks Trevor.

I don't want to detract from the debate on the other thread (and I do agree with Mark on this), but when barbel fishing I rarly use an unhooking mat. My opinion is that wet grass is just as good and probably removes less slime. Its also cooler and fish tend to slide less (just try using a mat on a sloping flood bank).

Most fish that I catch under about 8lb are unhooked in the net or lifted just long enough to unhook them then placed back into the water. Bigger fish are laid in the net on soft grass or if the bank is at all muddy in my net on a carp sack. Barbel aren't as prone to internal damage as carp as they are a lot more muscular so I don't see the need to use a padded mat. The photo that I assume your comment is about was taken in that position because I noticed how the colours complemente the fish. The fish was kept in the net until I was ready and then laid on the soft grass for the picture.

The exception to this is if I'm fishing the Trent, when I always bring a mat as I may be fishing on a rocky bank or a rough gravelly beach.

Tools like unhooking mats are there to help, not to be used slavishly without thought. In some instances you're better off not using them.

Blunderer

Reaction score
Nice article, Sean as always. i am with you on the unhooking mats issue too.

Also, how can you be so forgiving about the floodbank shouters? They make my blood boil.

I sometimes want to put a sign up behind me saying "Please show me some respect and keep low and quite as you pass"

TJD Notts

Reaction score
Sean, i think that this is one of those subjects that everyone has got a different opinion on and whose to say whose right and whose wrong.

Personally, i always use a mat if i need to take the fish out of the water and i feel that even soft grass can be harmfull to a fishes eyes etc. Better to be safe than sorry i believe.

Must agree with you on people that skyline though. I'm very lucky in that the stretches of river i fish it doesn't tend to be an issue as plenty of trees behind so no shadow cast. It's worse when these people are fishermen themselves, they should know better!

M

Matthew White

Another good article Sean.

I'm still up for that session on the Swale if you are.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I always leavea bag or something at the top of the bank. How many times do you walk a bank and fall over a angler. Hiden in the undergrowth. to late you have skylined the swim. I f you spot a bag then you know there is somebody fishing there and can show the correct respect or get a bollicking for ignoring the signs.

S

Sean Meeghan

You're right Trevor and we've got to respect opinions otherwise we're heading for the barbel secret police!

I'll drop you a pm over the next few weeks Matthew and we can fix a date.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Well done Sean, the previous angler obviously didn't read the swim like you, but that's what it's all about!

Not a bad 1st dayconsidering the circumstances, nice article too mate.

Deanos

Reaction score
Always grand to see the Yorkshire rivers given a mention Sean.

Good pics, nice article, pies are on me next time we meet /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif.

ps. are you using the small hook length of braid for this season Sean. I have grown to have a lot of confidence in the set up that you put forward, no tangles!

Reaction score
Another excellent article, I was especially interested in your fishing shallow swims early season. I had similar a experience with an excellent session last week taking chub in 12 to 18 inches of water on the Nidd. I would be interested in hearing how you tackle perch, could that been taken as a suggesttion for a future article. Cheers.

Skoda

Reaction score
Great article Sean, the next best thing to being there yourself.

Thanks

Andy

S

Sean Meeghan

Thanks guys!

Actually Steve I don't think it was a case of not reading the swim, but the fact that he was uncomfortable fishing a swim where he could see the bottom. It takes a certain attitude of mind to fish a swim where you can see the bottom but can't see fish. As Michael says, you can take good bags of fish from water that will barely cover their backs. The problem is that you have to keep low and then most of the time you can't see the fish enter the swim so you need the confidence to stick it out.

Yes Deanos I'm still using short braid plus long mono hooklength and I like meat and potato pies.

Now a perch article might be fun - it'll make me concentrate on something other than barbel for a bit!

A

Albert Watkinson 2

nice article sean to kick off with.very instructive and i am sure some young anglers can glean from this
albert

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Nice one Sean (again).

I just love the stunning images you take of those northern barbel, their colours are superb.

Still working on their southern cousins but have yet to get one in the net this sesaon. Must try harder.