Reels for barbel fishing

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I haven't really done a huge amount of barbel fishing but would like to step it up next season. Does anyone have an opinion on what are the best reels for barbel fishing and the long term strain of casting large, heavy feeders and the like?

Grateful Thanks.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Much depends on your definition of "large feeders", the rivers you intend to fish, the distance you intend to fish and the style of fishing you intend to use.

For the vast bulk of my barbeling, I'd be quite happy with my 4000/5000 sized Baitrunners. Only for more extreme tactics on big rivers like the Trent or Thames, would I feel the need for bigger.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Sam,

Sure, living where I do - it's going to be the Stour and the Avon. Feeders up to 6 or 7 oz in flood conditions.

Just curious whether it's Shimanos all the way or whether Okuma or other makers have come up with a model that suits barbel fishing well.

Thanks for the help. :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'm with Sam on the 4000/5000 for most of the time - I've stuck with Shimano since the 70's so I might be slightly biased.
Jerry

Judas Priest

Reaction score
I'd go for Okuma interceptors as if you're fishing a season then 99% of your fishing is going to be when it's NOT in flood, and both those rivers are hardly the Trent or Lower Severn with 14ft on even in a flood.

So a question for you
Knowing the Stour and Avon why would you need 6 or 7 oz feeders even in a flood?

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Not really sure as I've never really fished either very much, learning as I go - I was flicking through a catalogue and saw feeders for sale up to those weights so I thought I'd use those figures as guidance for the kind of stress a reel might have to take.

Barbel fishing is really new to me so learning as I go. Thanks so much for the help. :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I doubt that you'd ever need more than 4oz feeders for what you're intending. Even chucking a long way on the Trent, I rarely use more. However, the main reason for upping the reel size for such rivers has little to do with the size of the feeders. For me, it's that the bigger, longer spools make distance casting easier.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. A friend of a friend's promised to give me some coaching so, hopefully, that'll get me several steps forward. :)

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Well said Sam.

Dorset
Don't listen to all those who reckon you need 2 lb test curve rods, 6 oz feeders, 12 lb line and muscles like Mr Universe. There's a an awful lot of rubbish talked in barbel fishing nowadays and for the life of me I can't understand how the hell we caught them 30 odd yrs ago, most of it is a throw from the carp fishing scene and folks trying to convince others that they are some sort of Harry Potter wizard with their theories etc. companies and guides will also have you believe you won't catch unless using their latest bit of kit or bait.
Remember one thing. If a fish moves it uses energy, it needs to replace that energy as quickly as possible so as to outstrip any predators and so it will basically eat the first food item it comes across as long as it isn't spooked.
Personally I'm inclined to start with stalking fish with natural baits as the roving approach lets you learn quickly which areas hold barbel and naturals are quite an instant bait.

Barbel fishing and catching is not difficult and certainly not rocket science. Walk the banks slowly and quietly with a decent pair of Polaroids and look into every piece of water. If/ when you see fish watch how they are reacting, how they react when you place some food in and exactly where in the swim they feed. You'll learn a lot more watching fish than you ever will just turning up and lumping a bait in to the well worn usual swims.

You are lucky in the area you live in, in that you have clear water most of the time.
Although a lot of the Stour and Avon has low banks there are plenty of trees so get yourself up them and see what's about.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Good advice from Judas, also it’s worth noting the topography of the river bed during the summer months when it’s usually low and clear – it can be most rewarding later in the year when the water’s up and coloured.
Jerry

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Dorset

Try the roving/ looking idea and naturals as bait. I haven't met a barbel yet who can resist a bunch of lobworms ( even at the height of summer).

Thing is with pellets boilies etc is that most anglers use them, there's too many thrown in, and the fish recognise them with danger and as such are wary.

Another tip when roving. Use the lightest lead you can, even down to just a single swan shot, as this will enable the bait to search the swim rather than being pinned in one area. Think of it as trotting but without the float being on the line, you will though need to hold the rod and tease the bait around. A lot of fish are now wary of pinned down baits but will readily accept one that moves.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
That sounds like great advice, thanks so much. Might have to get myself a wormery as well :)

Keep it simple, go back to basics and start again - this should be a really exciting challenge - really looking forward to it.

I've been doing a lot of small river fishing for chub, which I love - but barbel? I think they're obviously my bogey team!! Thanks guys, really appreciate the advice. :)

nicepix

Reaction score
As already been said, walk the banks with polaroids on and watch for them to show, particularly over gravel beds. I had a little trick that worked time after time for me on Yorkshire rivers and that was that if you found dace, there were usually barbel nearby, if not right under them.

Also, if fishing daylight hours check out every raft and overhanging tree. On the smaller rivers I used to fish the bigger barbel were more solitary and would often lay up under tree roots or under weed and leaf rafts.

On the subject of reels, don't ignore the Daiwa range. The Regal Z reels are very robust, very well made and have a decent size metal spool for a lot less money than the equivalent Shimano reels. Just be aware though that they are a lot bigger; for instance the Z5000 is a much bigger reel than an Aero 8000. I never looked beyond Shimano for many years, but earlier this year I picked up two Z5000 Regals for the price of one Shimano and am really impressed with them.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
On the subject of reels, don't ignore the Daiwa range. The Regal Z reels are very robust, very well made and have a decent size metal spool for a lot less money than the equivalent Shimano reels. Just be aware though that they are a lot bigger; for instance the Z5000 is a much bigger reel than an Aero 8000. I never looked beyond Shimano for many years, but earlier this year I picked up two Z5000 Regals for the price of one Shimano and am really impressed with them.

Good advice. I prefer Daiwa over Shimano for a number of reasons and I've got pair of Regal Z's...absolutely cracking reels. The 3500/4000 are the same reel but with a bigger capacity on the 4000 spools. I think the 4000 would be more than adequate for barbel fishing and there is a big jump in size/weight if you go to a 4500/5000. Check out the specs.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When I first started on the Ribble I used a Shimano Nexave 3000, which was perfectly adequate.

Then I graduated to 2 rods and a pair of small Okuma Interceptor 330 baitrunners.

Probably the Okuma Interceptor IPB40 would be a good size and weight for a 12ft barbel rod. The Interceptor is now discontinued but they always pop up on eBay and can be won for around £20.

I sold one a couple of weeks ago, and an IPB350 which, strangely enough, is bigger than the 40.

I really like the engineering on Shimano reels but Okuma have put good-quality baitrunners into the budget market.

nicepix

Reaction score
Good advice. I prefer Daiwa over Shimano for a number of reasons and I've got pair of Regal Z's...absolutely cracking reels. The 3500/4000 are the same reel but with a bigger capacity on the 4000 spools. I think the 4000 would be more than adequate for barbel fishing and there is a big jump in size/weight if you go to a 4500/5000. Check out the specs.

I agree. The 5000 Regals are monster reels, the 4000 should be more than adequate.

I think that Daiwa are now taking the fight to Shimano as far as reels are concerned. Whereas Okuma can be accused of copying Shimano designs and selling them cheaper, Daiwa seem to be treading their own path and making good quality reels in their own designs. I spent a lot of time in a couple of tackle shops examining and playing with a load of reels and I came to the conclusion that the Daiwa range give the best quality for the price.

The two big bait runner Regals I bought for carp fishing were half the price of the equivalent Shimano reel and had two metal spools included. They are so much smoother compared to the other reels I tried and are very well constructed. I even succumbed to a couple of smaller models for light ledgering.

jimlad

Reaction score
I had two regals, and was using them for piking. I couldn't trust them after the line managed to sneak in under the spool as a pike was slowly wandering away with my deadbait. My heart was beating away as I spent what seemed like an age unscrewing the spool, untangling the line and re screwing the spool, whilst all the while a pike was taking my float slowly into mid river.

Fortunately the pike wasn't deep hooked. Unfortunately the reels got sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk