Returning to the Ribble - bait / tackle advice needed

batphil

Reaction score
Hi guys

I used to regularly fish the Ribble at Elston but haven't done so for about 12 years and now eagerly awaiting next Sunday so I can do it all over again.

In the past, I always used a Drennan block-end feeder loaded with hemp & caster, with double caster on a size 12 hook. I always fished a free running rig and generally caught well, including a good number of sizeable barbel and chub.

However, I'm now getting told by my local tackle shop that this won't catch me barbel any more. Instead, I'm told, I need to use a heavy grounbait feeder loaded with a halibut groundbait / pellets and a hair-rigged pellet on the hook if I want to catch.

Whilst I'm not disputing that the "recommended" set-up will catch good fish, I am dubious about the assertion that hemp & caster won't.

So, my question is, what does everyone else use for barbel fishing (both bait and end-tackle set-up), whether on the Ribble, or any other river?

Many thanks in advance
Phil

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Looks like an angler of your experience already knows the answer!! I'd wager if you used the approach you did before you'll catch more than your neighbour especially early season. Obviously the river gets battered with pellets, but a subtle approach with a bit of rivercraft and thought will still succeed while all these pillocks are piling the bait in. Your tackle shop will want to sell you pellets and groundbait feeders that you will lose in the rocks, so you'll have to keep coming back! Just make sure your gear is up to it as the fish are bigger and the river has not become any less rocky and snaggy; I think you should post again and tell us all how you got on!!

Paul Morley

Reaction score
You might want to be a bit more mobile than in the past too- so many anglers stick in the same spots and it does not assist their catching, it assists their ability to sit down and talk loud b*ll*cks with the guy 30 metres from them, however! And what he said - micro pellets.... and eels you'll know about anyhoo. And have a look at Sean's articles on Yorkshire Barbel - much summer tactic discussion there.

batphil

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies guys.

I take your points about eels although interestingly, I did used to get fewer eels using caster than some other baits.

Paul, yes I will be using some reasonably heavy-weight tackle to cope with the snags and fish in there. I take on board your comment about mobility and once the first few weeks are over and the number of anglers on the bank starts to drop, then I'll probably go a wandering.

Thanks again
Phil

Reaction score
I'd agree with the tackle shop but I fill the feeder with small halibut pellets (various sizes) and hemp and just bung it up with groundbait............I'm sure the barbel would wolf down casters and maggots but the "bits" just smash them on the hook. I've caught on meat, cheese, bread (chub) and boilies but had most success on halibut pellets, mostly chokers.......

and I come from the days when caster and hemp and a 16 hook to 5lb hook links was "de rigeur" on church deeps for the 100lb chub bags...times have changed

Last edited: