swale

cocker

Reaction score
fished the swale for barbel on sunday the waters low and clear i had a total blank, EA man checked my licence,
fished the swale for barbel on monday still low and clear, blanked again, a different EA man checked my licence, (same stretch as yesterday different peg, different man)
might go this evening after tea, 3rd time lucky hopefully.

jimlad

Reaction score
It's quite difficult with it being so low. Maggot and caster can be a fruitful approach ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
Everything I'm hearing about the Swale so far is fairly standard. For one reason or another, I'm avoiding any venue that I have to pay for or is more than a few miles away, so the Swale is out. However, I've been on the Swale on opening day/week for at least the last five years. It rarely does a great deal until well into July. The exceptions seem to be if you happen to fall on a couple of stretches where the barbel and chub congregate to spawn. Until they spread out again, post spawning, much of the river is likely to be dire. The low and clear conditions don't help much either.

jimlad

Reaction score
I managed to winkle one out, but so far this is it from 2 short sessions...

pabusu3y.jpg

cocker

Reaction score
i will give it a hour or two after tea, as ime only less than 10 minutes away from Thornton bridge or asenby,

jimlad

Reaction score
You lucky person!!!

cocker

Reaction score
3rd day of the season and my 3rd blank today, 3 different swims, and a subtle change of end gear and baits, and trying as many features as i could find, wouldn't get me a bite in my search for the barbel. i thought the river looked even clearer today looking over the bridge,
there have been quite a few anglers on from fawdington woods down towards the viaduct over the last 3 days,i haven't spoke to anyone though, so i dont know if they have done any good,
oh well at least ime finding some good underwater features etc, and getting a bit of a tan,
i think i will move on a bit tomorrow and start fishing into the some faster more oxygenated water of the weirs, until some heavy rain comes,

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I was out on Monday not far from you Cocker and I had a barbel. It wasn't easy fishing and it was a matter of having confidence in my swim choice and sitting it out until dusk. I had a good walk around and didn't see many fish. There were a couple of barbel finishing off spawning on the gravels and a shoal of chub in an inaccessible position but not much else.

Thornton Bridge isn't a good early season water at the best of times and probably comes into its own around July. I actually prefer a low clear river, but it does require careful swim choice and a fair degree of stealth. The problem with most of the lower (below Topcliffe) Swale is that it does tend to get busy at times and on a low river that can only make life difficult.

broomy

Reaction score
On the next river north (the Tees) same story.
Sunday,Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings.
So far no a lot couple of chub and some bream from a deep swim.
Even with the river as low as its been for years and as clear as I have ever seen it.
Its still very difficult to locate fish.
Have tried fast water with lots of cover and deep water near by.
Have tried slow steady three foot deep
Tried deep with cover and fast water not very far away.
I don't like fishing in the dark so have stopped at 22:30 each evening.
But like us all will keep trying
Know of a double caught opening day(in dark) in one of the spots I have tried so its not a hopeless task.
Strangely no otters seen as yet! last season it was a sighting every time out.

slabber1

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new to the forum, I've just started to fish for barbel this season without success yet. I was wondering if anyone has heard of any barbel inhabiting the tees around the dinsdale area, I've just joined middlesbrough angling club after a long break which has the rights on the stretch upstream of the iron bridge. It looks like perfect barbel habitat to me with gravel runs and streamer weed in abundance, I fished early yesterday with only a chub of around 4 lb for my efforts, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. , thanks

jimlad

Reaction score
All ill say is, no comment ;)

No seriously, there are barbel in there, dinsdale and sockburn are two of the best areas on the tees for them when the rivers right. But tees barbel are not an easy task...

My advice would be to have a good walk with some Polaroids. A mate of mine has done just that on the same stretch and found where one or two of the barbel are sheltering.

Good luck in your quest...

slabber1

Reaction score
Many thanks for the reply, it's a bit difficult for me to get over there and walk the bank regularly as I live in the Whitby area, however next time I go,I'll spend more time looking than just casting into liely swims . However a few years ago when I used to live nearer to the river I did see barbel looking from above the bridge, the river on Saturday was low and clear. Would it be better to fish fast oxygenated water in such conditions?

cocker

Reaction score
i fish at thornton bridge on the swale, and i also cross over it twice a day as it is in-between my house and the farm where i work, i pulled up and looked over the bridge this afternoon, the water was lower than it had been on opening day, and probably the lowest its been all this year, also i could very clearly see the barbel were still spawning.

dalesman

Reaction score
Yarm School is travelling down from Richmond to Morton on Swale bridge in groups of 10 canoes and using the field down stream of Morton bridge to get off the river. When I asked who gave permission I was told the farmer has agreed for them to use the bank and field for access to the river.

gregors

Reaction score
Hi to all :) new to forum and wanna some advise on river swale please:) can anyone tell if river swale is a good for barbel fishing and if so can anyone tell which part of it would be good to start adventure wit barbel fishing please let me know :) cheers C&R

jimlad

Reaction score
Welcome,

Probably need more specifics than that. There are a good head of barbel in the swale. Are you in any clubs? Or is there a particular part of the swale your intrigued by?