Hooklength material for barbel fishing

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Last year I started a thread on hooklength materials for barbel fishing, as I was about to have a first serious go for the species on the river teme.

Fast forward a year, and now I've actually managed to catch a few, however these have come from the far more prolific river wye.

On my most recent session there, my chosen hooklength material (brown drennan double strength in 10lb b.s.) gave me some serious cause for concern... it parted pretty easily on a couple of fish. This did happen mid way up the hooklength (rather than at either knot end) which did make me wonder if a sharp rock had got in the way? However, i'd usually expect some sense up the line of that and there was none - it just felt like the fish surged and then everything was slack.

So I'm interested to know what others recommend? 10lb maxima chameleon has been put forward as a possible alternative on another thread (thanks jacksharp!) and I will check that out, I'm also wondering if 8 or 10lb daiwa sensor could be worth thinking of?

(BTW, i'm using 12lb daiwa sensor as main line which I'm very, very happy with)

Is there any consideration here for stealth? Part of me is starting to think that when wye barbel are really on the feed, you could hang a pellet on a piece of tow rope and they'd bite.... and equally, if they're not having it - then you just need to hurry up and wait until they are.

However, given the kind of trip I need to make to get there, I would hate to end up losing the only bite of a day that I get to an avoidable, broken hook length.

Any thoughts welcome... if you have a preference, what is it? And in what lenght? I tend to start at about 3 foot, which is longer than i'd use on the thames.... but it does seem to work.

B

binka

I've been having some good results with Ultima Power Steel 10lb, a nice clear, low stretch line with a good knot strength and very, very strong for it's rating. It also seems very resistant to abrasion too... I've landed a few fish and felt back up the hooklength afterwards and where there are signs that it has actually rubbed and feathered it hasn't given way and it's just a case of replacing the hooklength.

Probably down to my style of fishing but I rarely go below four feet with a barbel hooklength and often much longer :)

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My hooklength has been for some time has been ESP Ghost at 10/12 lb bs Jim.
hasn't given me any problems over the years.
Trying out Incognito at 6lb,so far no problems with that either.
My usual length is about 18 inches to 2 foot but I do extend this up to three feet.

Reaction score
Hook lenghts I use (on the Ribble) are Kryston Incognito - usually 9lb in the daylight with a silkworm braid tip.

Usually as light fades I switch to either Kryston Mantis Dark or Jackal in 15 or 25lb - both are very supple coated braids the offer good abrasion resistance.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When the rivers low as it is now i'm either using a float rod and 6lb sensor straight through or an 1.25lb avon rod with the same 6lb sensor straight through. Never had any problems at all. Obviously when the rivers up and flowing I up my gear to 1.75 test rods, 12lb mainline and 8lb sensor bottom...no prob's with that. I sometimes use sensor in 10lb also and on occasion I use drennan sink braid in 10lb plus coated braids for my hooklength.
Just a word of warning for rocky rivers, the longer your bottom the more chance you will have of getting snapped off. It's mainly because your lead is hanging so far away from the fish and causing an angle in your line which causes it to catch on rocks or the lead to snag inbetween rocks etc.
Only last week whilst fishing I was stood feet away from barbel and watching them take my bait and to be honest even if they did get spooked by touching the mainline they only moved a few feet and then they just came back, I really don't think there's any need for long bottoms in most situations, I reckon a foot to 18 inch is ample...jmo people before anyone starts arguing.

If you fish lighter and straight through the you don't need a bottom and just use leger stops or a small shot to decide how long between your hook and lead (small lead/ bomb).

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
ESP Soft Ghost in 10/12lb. Hooklink braids in 10/12 and very occasionally 15lb. Sometimes I'll make a braid combi-link with Nash Triggalink to give them something extra to think about. It often turns taps and rattles into full blown 3ft twitches. If I'm trotting, it'll be a clear mono of 6-8lb.
I won't go too low as I'd rather get no bites than get bites and lose fish.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
On my most recent session there, my chosen hooklength material (brown drennan double strength in 10lb b.s.) gave me some serious cause for concern... it parted pretty easily on a couple of fish.

DDS is a pre-stretched line, hence has no memory and is totally unforgiving. Compare this to the other makes of mono memntioned which have a fair bit of memory and decide if the extra thinness which DSS supplies is worth having in this situation. Personally I'd keep it for a carp-floater line and fish with rope for the barbel :)

Keith M

Reaction score
I normally use Terry Eustace Pro Gold in 6lb or 8lb straight through to the hook.
I don't like extra knots which can cause weaknesses plus I can adjust my hooklength at will from 4in up to around 3ft or more in an instance depending on how I want my bait to be presented and the method I'm using.

I only go up to 10lb in floodwater.

Last edited:

aebitim

Reaction score
Another vote for straight through, particulaly on the Wye where the even the gravel is sharp and eats line. Best to carefully check the last couple of feet of line before each cast.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
For most of my barbel fishing I use a combi link with 6 inches of 12lb Drennan sinking braid to around 2 to 3ft of whatever my main line is. On snaggy rivers I use a hook length of Kryston Incognito.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Drennan Supplex as a mainline and Kryston Incognito hooklink. Recently switched to Drennan Gravel Braid with good results.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've seen the results of Neil's Drennan gravel braid switch and, in this case being behind the times, had not seen it until a trip to Ross on Wye this weekend. If it holds the same properties as Drennan sink braid (my favourite) then I'm going to try it.
Jerry
PS Depending upon conditions I prefer a long tail.

garethdwatkins

Reaction score
I'd been using fluorocarbon for a while, but after a couple of losses on the French rivers due to cut offs, I was looking for a more robust material.

I've since been using ESP Sink Link in 15lb now for a few weeks and it seems to be very good. I've had carp to over 20lb from the river on it as well as a good number of barbel and it has so far stood up well. It's very fine for its breaking strain, and as its a dyneema it has good abrasion resistance.

cheers
Gareth

Terry D

Reaction score
I'm using Drennan Sink Braid. If it's good enough for Bob Roberts, it's good enough for me. I've had several barbel out on it with no problems whatsoever.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Same as Keith on this one :)
Why complicate things, keep things simple and your time on the bank will be much more enjoyable! I have tried alsorts of hook length material and made all Manner of rigs, but this season I decided to go back to basics and fish 6lb pro gold straight through and just use double float stops on the lead.

I can't use braided hook links on my Wigan book anyway, never will understand that rule!