Bransford - River Teme

meatman

Reaction score
I've fished most of the BAA waters on the River Teme, but not at Bransford. Thinking of giving it a go, anyone else fished there?

Predominately after barbel, but I've not heard any reports regarding this stretch. Would appreciate any information.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Hi.
I have only fished the BS bit and the Bransford club water on the other bank.

Both interesting bits of water. Good for barbel from bridge to the deep pool prior to the left hand bend.

Further down under far bank tree nice chub.

Don't know BAA bit.

Reaction score
Used to fish it a lot a few years back...

The BAA took over only part of the former Portabello fishery.

Some of the best barbelling was to be had in the first meadow over the brook down the island channel which is now padlocked off for caravanners...

The rest of the fishery is an inverse L shape... had my best barbel sessions 50 yards before the Bransford AA stile...

8-10 barbel in 3-4 hours was the norm even in the height of summer...

Me and my wife christened the layby you park in 'p*ss alley' cos of the stench created by overnight truckers ablutions...

Then some bright spark started doing hog roasts there on a Sunday... you can imagine the marinade jokes we shared :)

My best barbel from the stretch was 8lb 15oz

Forgot to mention... also had by biggest Teme chub from that stretch at a similarly frustrating 5lb 15oz

It used to be beautiful back in the day with poppy and cornflower meadows, barn owls, lotsa brown trout et al... but has changed considerably and seems neglected in recent years

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Hi ****y. Ah. From your description of the layby I guess its just before the bridge.
Last seen / smelt 5 years ago! Yuk.

I know the house and fishing by the pub was for sale 10 years ago

Jamesy

Reaction score
Fished it for the first time at the start of the season. Thought the layby was handy as the little burger van provided a welcome cuppa/sausage @ tom sarnie. Can be a good walk involved and some of the banks are overgrown and v. steep. Only about six pegs fishable. Fished float and feeder during the session, caught on both but no Barbel. Chub, Chublets, Dace and the obligatory Brownies. More Trout than anything else. Had a good day though and will be back.

Reaction score
Hi ****y. Ah. From your description of the layby I guess its just before the bridge.
Last seen / smelt 5 years ago! Yuk.

I know the house and fishing by the pub was for sale 10 years ago

Lol! Spot on matey! You don't need sat-nav to find it; just follow your nose :)

The swim from the house has that lovely 'double-bed' feature in the middle of the river that you can see from the bridge downstream... have seen monstrous chub there in summer. My quest for a Teme six goes on....

Had a 5lber first session this year, a few miles downstream...

[IMG]http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/members/****y-angling-trust-pac--albums-river-magic-picture3579-5lb-exactly-teme-late-july-2013.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Super Teme Chub ****y, and great picture. proper camera I guess.

I can recommend a good local hairdresser if in need.:D:eek:

I was lucky to catch a 6 on my first teme outing...............never had one since.

Graham

strikerbw

Reaction score
Great pic. My first cast ever on the Teme produced a 6.1 chub at Bransford above the bridge back when I uses to be in the BS and you could fish above the bridge(a few years ago) and was my pb for a few years. Was a right old bruiser.

I have seen a few chub on the BAA stretch there about 2/3 summers ago that were very large with one in particular a right monster but not seen any signs of them since

belsh

Reaction score
Hey ****y, just wondering if you had any luck at Bransford and any pearls of wisdom that you might want to pass on?
I fished it myself a few times last summer without much succesd and am thinking of giving it another go next week.
Any local knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Belsh.

Reaction score
Hey ****y, just wondering if you had any luck at Bransford and any pearls of wisdom that you might want to pass on?
I fished it myself a few times last summer without much succesd and am thinking of giving it another go next week.
Any local knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Belsh.

Hi Belsh,

Have you seen the state of the Teme at the mo? Currently over 4 metres at Bransford (see EA River Levels...)

Doubt it'll be fish-able for a fortnight or so....

Bransford is a funny fishery, only a few pegs produce the goods with any regularity.

That said, drop me a PM and I'll point you towards my favourite productive swim :)

Last edited:

Judas Priest

Reaction score
belsh if the river is back within its banks please carry and use a rope and dog spike the banks are notoriously treacherous at the best of times after a light shower never mind all this at the moment.

Reaction score
belsh if the river is back within its banks please carry and use a rope and dog spike the banks are notoriously treacherous at the best of times after a light shower never mind all this at the moment.

I take my spike and rope as a matter of course all year round on both the Severn and Teme if there is even a hint of rain...

Got caught out at Bransford as it happens in midsummer by a sharp shower that made the steep bank a ski run nightmare. Had to throw my kit up and climb a tree to get back to safety...

Be safe... you can cobble an effective spike set up for about a fiver...

Also be aware that after floods big chunks of bank are seriously weakened, so take a long landing net handle and stay away from the edge...

N

Neil Smart

There are few Barbel in the Teme now, did manage a couple of doubles from the BAA stretch before the Otter took hold.

It's a real heart breaker seeing the demise of this once prolific Barbel river.

N

Neil Smart

Thanks Neil, is it recently that you fished it?

Fished the Teme just the once in the summer, and it was not at it's best, but that has been the story told by most that fish her often, the returns have been very poor of late. But I suppose because the Teme looks so ideal that just being there in the hope is a reasonable pastime.

But last summer was poor also on the Lower Severn Lower, WA too, compared with the previous summers. Even the Wye was not so prolific, so perhaps it might just be the dry couple of months we had.

I hope so.

belsh

Reaction score
I hope so too Neil.
I fished the Teme pretty much every week last year from June onwards without a great deal of success.
Waterlevels were very low at times (and very high lately) and very clear.
I have seen a couple of cormorants but not otters.
I'm hoping that with improved tactics and better planning my catches will improve this year and that the river is not suffering a serious decline in fishstocks.
Thanks for the reply.
Belsh.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Otters have been resident on the Teme for donkey's years with no detrimental effects. What has changed though, and is affecting many many river systems, is the low water then mass floods effect of recent years.
The fish are still there though if you look close enough during the summer months.

N

Neil Smart

I hope so too Neil.
I fished the Teme pretty much every week last year from June onwards without a great deal of success.
Waterlevels were very low at times (and very high lately) and very clear.
I have seen a couple of cormorants but not otters.
I'm hoping that with improved tactics and better planning my catches will improve this year and that the river is not suffering a serious decline in fishstocks.
Thanks for the reply.
Belsh.

Facts are that Barbel catches are well down, it's hard to admit that the Barbel are not there in the numbers that they were previously, but as Judas says that it is probably the recent floods and then drought that has the biggest impact on such a spate river.

Of course Otter are a factor, and they are there, they are in every waterway now that contains fish, you just need to observe the paw prints in the mud /sand. But they haven't been resident in recent years, and when they were they were culled by the Otter Hounds.

If predation is the problem then it will always show more on such Rivers as the Teme as opposed to the Severn, Trent etc, for obvious reasons, but the fact that the Severn and the Wye was below par too this summer indicates that perhaps fllood and then drought indeed plays a major part.

Certainly the Teme is an important spawning river for the Barbel and is as such a hugely important River for the welfare of Barbel and future stocks.

But alas the EA seem not to care at all regarding such matters, show them a new Hydro Scheme and they will back that to the hilt, but declining fish stocks?

Perhaps as anglers we have not helped, pursuing the Barbel to the extent we would impose our rigs on them even in the snaggiest of the Barbel 'safe' areas, the very public affair the Teme had through the likes of celeb anglers was perhaps unsustainable, is it no wonder that if we are lucky to find Barbel now we keep it a secret?

Look on the bright side you will have miles of River to yourself.

ssshhh.

barbelmaniac

Reaction score
Just to let all members know Bransford Angling Association have two superb stretches one at Bransford and one at Cotheridge. They are taking on members at present and it is superb value at only £35 for the season. See the Bransford Angling Association Facebook page for details of how to join or get more info. If you have difficulty finding this page just PM me and i will give you info and contact details.

strikerbw

Reaction score
Just to let all members know Bransford Angling Association have two superb stretches one at Bransford and one at Cotheridge. They are taking on members at present and it is superb value at only £35 for the season. See the Bransford Angling Association Facebook page for details of how to join or get more info. If you have difficulty finding this page just PM me and i will give you info and contact details.

Good man Barbelmaniac - i must know you in real life.... Anyone interested in joining PM me with your details and i will get the form across to you....

Cheers,

BW