Britford - Hampshire Avon

Ross

Reaction score
Hi has anyone fished here this season?

After some general information on the fishery, how's it fishing, where are the best swims I should be heading for etc...

Specifically looking for barbel but there's a lot of ground to cover so rather than me spend half the day seeking out the best runs if anyone can point me to a good starting point I'd be very very greatful...

Looking to get down there when I can grab a day in the next week or so.

Thanks in advance...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ross,

The Barbel at Britford are few and far between as a rule.

As a starting point I'd opt to go upstream from the car park to the sluice and fish the pool from there, but not too far downstream.

Alternatively you could try well downstream on the navigation channel past the first bridge after the car park.

I am told that there are a few Barbel swims right down at the far end of the fishery, but I've never fished those myself.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Fished Britford for a couple of hours after work yesterday early evening.

Water levels are still a litte high, water is coloured and flow still a bit turbid.

I decided to fish the 'old' river, and caught Perch, dace, small grayling and chublet.

Nothing big or exciting but still a nice couple of hours on the bank after a day at work.

P1060010.jpg

P1060016.jpg

P1050005.jpg

P1060015.jpg

P1060018.jpg

View to die for IMHO

Ross

Reaction score
Thanks guys.... useful info.

I will try to get up there this wekend.

Nathan Walter

Reaction score
Claudia, nice pictures. Fished that area a couple of times last year. Intend spending a lot of time there this Autumn and Winter.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Nathan,

Let me know when you down there, we could meet up for a fishing session. I'm planning to fish and explore the stretch a lot more this year.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I spent about 5 hours at Britford late afternoon to early evening yesterday.

It was boiling hot with bright sunshine; so neither the Carp or the Barbel wanted to come out to play.

Plenty of Roach and Dace being caught from the 'usual' swims though, and one or two Pike showing up as well.

The river is now in lovely condition, fast walking pace with a little colour left in it, and still at a very good level.

Nathan Walter

Reaction score
What's the roach fishing like in the Summer Peter? Do any of the big ones show up?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nathan,

The Roach fishing is not so good in the Summer months. Once the river has a bit of colour in it then the Roach fishing really picks up. Late Autumn is the time that I begin to think about those bigger roach.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Nathan, never roach fished it in summer but a good few roach apparently get caught sight fishing with a "minnow proof" bait such as a tare.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Blimey Nigel your ears must be burning? I was chatting about you today with Peter.

Hope work is okay, Britford is on my hit list /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Hi Steve - just adjusting to my new life as a london commuter - bloody exhausting and very little opportunity to post at work leaving me not much time or energy to focus on things fishing.Still I was probably becoming a little obsessive so a bit of rebalancing was in order perhaps. Just you wait though until the leaves begin to drop and the weed clears and those big Avon roach begin to twitch!I'll be out there.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
How about the 16th August with me and Peter on the Kennet Nigel /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif?

Sorry Ross. It's hard to pin Nigel down!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

/members/images/5899/Gallery/A_2lb_6oz__March_Roach_from_the_Avon._Battle_scarred_but_still_a_PB._1.jpg

...and here's one I caught earlier! A bit tatty but my biggest at just over 2.6.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Yes sorry Ross.Thread well and truly hijacked but it is a Britford fish as you can tell from the picture.Steve, thanks.I'll PM you.

Ross

Reaction score
Not at all, it's enlightening to hear about the fishery and what it has to offer.