River Rod Rests

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a decent rod pod that will take 2 rods for river fishing, but it must be capable of getting the rod tips high in the air.

I've seen the JRC Euro Pod, but has anyone here got any feedback on this item? Stability is my main concern.

Any information on alternatives would be appreciated as well, e.g. Fox Horizon Pod?

Cheers.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Peter,

I believe korum have a new tri-pod due out soon, designed for fishing large rivers with rods skyward. I'll do some searching...........

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
David and Mark - thanks.

I'm not in a great rush as I'm planning mostly for September and onwards, so I can wait a while yet before deciding.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I can't seem to find anything at the moment, could be as its not on the market yet....... Graham may know more?

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Trafford Angling's design seems great, not used it, but fondled it. Decent weight decent price...?

F

Fred Bonney

I've got the Trafford Angling one for the Trent.

It's good, my only gripe, and it's probably personal to me, is thatmy rods are too close at the top.

I keep thinking I need to get a wider spreader bar, but instead, I tend to use two sturdy screw end bank sticks.

F

Fred Bonney

Having just looked at the Trafford site, it seems my problem can be overcome for less than a tenner!

Reaction score
You could get the narrower butt set Fred which would have the same effect. Alternatively get the single rod conversion and screw a goalpost type spreader of your choice on that.

Then again you could carry on using the sturdy rests/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif(which is what I do on rivers other than the Trent -I like to have the tips as close to the water as possible).

Dave

Edit: I see you've spotted the options Fred

Reaction score
Peter

Try this one at Erics Angling- also available from Trafford Angling and others.

I'm not sure where the forum thread is, but I recall Matt Brown explained how he created a very sturdy river pod by modifying a Fox Horizon Pod. This looked the dogs danglies, but will cost a bit.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Peter,

The Korum tri-pod I'm told is being field tested in the 'action replay' feature in this weeks anglers mail. I havent got a copy yet, so I cant tell you anymore at the moment.

Reaction score
Peter the JRC tripod style rod pods, are great for those purposes, they are nice and sturdy (open up fairly wide) and have extending legs. they also have a hook on the bottom, which is ideal for getting a bungee and a tent peg to anchor it down in the worst of conditions.The arm which goes is on the top of the tripod, can be extended, and tiled up and down, so much you could quite easily use it for sea fishing !! you could easily have it up for keeping the rods as high as possible, then open up the two metal handle (which are like spanners, that are permanently attached and can be pulled up to twist them to tighten the fixing and lock the arm in position) and have it the other way so that the tip are in the water. A nice but of kit, look around on the tinternet as a few companies are clearing them at silly prices.

A lot of companies make pods of this style Daiwa JRC Prologic all do them as well as many more i would imagine.

Ryan

Andy B

Reaction score
Hi Peter,

I use a powerstorm beach tripod - its black, made from triangular aluminium, extends from 3 - 6'+ so packs down nice for transportation and it's pretty light too. Best of all the standard beach rests at the top can be removed and a standard buzz bar can be fitted to take your favourite front rest heads or alarms if thats your thing. Got mine from Fishing Republic in Manchester and they will do the buzz bar conversion for you at no extra cost - price is £40.

Before i had one of these i used a Fox Horizon pod - can't get the rod tips that high as standard but if you buy a pair of 36" extending banksticks you can replace the front legs with these and jack it up real high.

Hope this helps

Andy B

Reaction score
No Problem Peter,

Forgot to mention that the butt cups and head rests are adjustable in width ( so would solve Fred's problem ) also the but rests can be raised from ground level to around 3' up which is very usefull if you need to place your pod amongst bankside vegatation.

Andy Norris

Reaction score
ive got the TBR 2 from Trafford and I can honestly say its the best piece of kit ive purchased in the last 3 years.

I dont know what id do without it now, especially fishing the Ribble with its rocky beds.

Andy B

Reaction score
Hi Andy,

i'm on a bit of a Ribble campaign myself at the moment - perhaps we could organise a fish in and compare pods and stuff!