Anyone else struggling??

meatman

Reaction score
Not sure if it's the tropical Summer combined with hardly any rain for most of July and August, but it's not been a great season for me so far.

I've managed the odd fish here and there, but struggled much of the time. Due to work and family I don't night fish.

I don't usually fish maggots either, but tried them a couple of times, with no better results. In fact on the Severn all the maggot did was attract chub of a few ounces each and four eels - two of which managed to tangle my rig beyond repair.

Another session on the Teme - and I tried maggots again - only to be pestered by suicidal minnows. Every time I reeled in one had impaled itself on the hook.

Despite ringing the changes with other baits, all barbel catches so far have been on pellet.

But as said - it's not been a great season. Anyone else struggling?

B

binka

I'm seeing a slow down now although to be fair I've not been targeting 'em so much, prior to that I've had the best barbel summer I've ever had to the point where I just about got bored of it and switched to ledgering crust for chub... only to see it get nailed by the barbel!

Same problem over the weekend... targeting big perch I took three barbel to 9lb 12oz amongst a few bream on worm!

Most of the fish earlier in the season fell to pellet but meat would out fish it on occasions with cheese taking a fair few too, i'll be looking to the smaller baits now it's turning colder though.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
It's been very slow generally on the Wye all summer. Very low and clear conditions meant that even very good anglers with experience of the river struggled. That has all changed in the last week or so since the summer departed. Now, with a little bit of rain and colour in the water it's fishing it's head off!

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
It's been slow oop North too. One thing that has been noticable this season is that the barbel have fed, but not as consistently as I'd expect. Some people have done OK if they were fishing on the day, but others have struggled.

Not telling what camp I'm in. :w

Another thing I've noticed is that I've caught more skinny barbel this season. Nothing scientific, but several barbel had surprisingly low weights when weighed.

robtherake

Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to get on the rivers yet this season, but fishing has been very patchy elsewhere, compared to previous years.

Let's hope the Autumn's a glorious one, to make up for it!

BTW, I'm glad I'm not the only one having a lean time of it - perhaps ones mojo isn't lost, after all.:D

fruitowl

Reaction score
not been out since the start of the month but I to seemed to struggle to catch in any numbers just ones and 2's even though like you I rang the changes with baits.
will not go until oct now as am away next week will be interesting with all the rain were having to see if things improve have constantly heard of good catches around bridgnorth but that's it.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Hi Geoff.

Interesting your take on the Wye this season.

Yes, apart from July it's been slow during the day, however after dusk its fished pretty well from all the many contacts I have had. I had 10 barbs and 8 chub in a 4 hour session week before last.

Over the last few days, with the colder weather, cold rain dropping temps it's been very quiet for the barbel although chub very active.However the the 6-9 inch rise today might help a little bit.

Hopefully the two old chaps I visited yesterday, (and you may pop down to see)fishing the last few days will see an upturn in sport this week from now on.

In general I have not done much barbel fishing down south but had a few incl a 11lb and a 12lb+ on the 8 local kennet visits made.

Graham

ravey

Reaction score
I've found it quiet on the Trent as well. Not sure what the problem is, but it seems to have affected the river all season.

By the sounds of it, other rivers are similar. Just one of those things I suppose, but it may be that the national barbel boom is over?

flightliner

Reaction score
Had a few nice fish on float. Went roach fishing on the trent the other day with hemp n tares but circumstances forced me to change venues so opted to go for the barbel long trotting. First fish a 10-6, second fish about 8lb (ish) that I didnt bother with the scales.
When the temperatures rise next week It should be far more productive.

flightliner

Reaction score
I've found it quiet on the Trent as well. Not sure what the problem is, but it seems to have affected the river all season.

Depending on how you look at it part of the "problem" is that in my humble opinion the barbel population as peaked . The numbers just dont seem to be there like they were some five years or so ago and the frequency of "Biggies" that are being reported is also down , that is unless folks are just keeping them to themselves.
Sure, some catches are still raising an eyebrow or two -- had some good ones myself but
nothing like it was.
I hope i,m wrong --- correct me if you want but you,re right Ravey , something is just not quite right------

ravey

Reaction score
Finally managed to have a decent day yesterday. A work colleague, a barbel 'virgin' had a great day, and we managed nine. Four of them were proper lumps, but I did not have my scales with me so we'll never know. Three excellent perch put in an appearance as well.

So maybe, we can look forward to an improvement?

chrisfish88

Reaction score
I fished a few gravel stretches at the start of he season as I thought they would be On these stretches ready for spawning but only had 1 barbel of 11lb along with lots of chub up to 5lb. As soon as we had a bit of sun the barbel rods went away and all the pole gear came out and I had an amazing season 3 20lb carp on the pole, a 4lb2 crucian pb and a 9lb1 tench pb - having felt content with the 3 or 4 monthes id worked my ass off sat on my box and possibly the best section on a season I've had for years I thought I'd try and get back on the barbel at the beginning of August. I've done 10 sessions since on 10 different stretches on 3 different rivers all on the greater London/Surrey border. The first three sessions were tough and after a total of about 24hrs fishing I'd only had a couple of very small chub. Since then I've taken 9 barbel in 7 trips including what I may believe to be a river record for 1 venue at 13lb6. However this and the one I mentioned at the start of the season have been the only doubles, most between the 5 and 8lb mark. I've been using mainly different meat baits, flavoured luncheon, sausage and even a couple on slithers of steak I think 1 has been taken on pellet but other than that all the fish have fallen to meat. In 7 seasons of properly targeting them from sep-dec the most I've ever had is 12 and now I'm already at 9. I am by no means a top angler but know what I'm doing and Spend a lot of time with a test tank looking at the rigs. Speaking to a few trusted "barbel" friends the general consensus if the fishing is now more abundant but not 1 person I know has had a 14lber where the stretches I fish used to be home to 4 or 5 monsters these seem to have been replaced by a dozen fish half the size which in my opinion is good for me and the rivers, on one trip I was standing in a foot of gravel washing my hands and I'm convinced 1 went past me pushing 20lb so they are there somewhere. As for tips as I stated before meat seems the best bait fished hard to the deck on a running lead, the other thing I've noticed even though the rod tip moved 3 ft per bite they don't like resistance that's unnatural the lead seems ok but friends of mine have swapped carp rods for 1.5lbTC. All my fishing is generally done between 5pm and midnight I've done a couple of nighters but not noticed it to be any better and as for mornings only did 1 and not a sniff. Hope this is of any help to everyone, I'm located in twickenham and fish or have a reasonable knowledge of most water within 25miles so if you want any more
Advice please get in touch, nothing worse than these who keep secrets, as my dad taught me as a pad 20years ago if your unfortunate and have to work someone else could be catching "that" fish for themselves id rather hear of other catches than know of only my trips.
Tight lines and break a rod!!!

bobbyb

Reaction score
I've not had that bad of a season on the Severn. A little run of blanks in between but it's generally fished ok. Slow in the daytime for sure but changed my approach and now all those little 'chub plucks' have turned into barbel in the net. :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
For one reason or another I've missed most of this year's fishing so it's hard to judge but over the last couple of months it hasn't been great compared to a similar period last year, according to my diaries.
It's been something like 'coming in halfway through a film' and trying to pick up on the plot, as if I just cannot get going, cannot make up my mind what type of fishing I actually want to do.......quite possibly caused by trying to catch up on what I missed.......

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Winter period with the hope that I don't have to see another doctor, nurse, or hospital for some considerable time!!

mike938

Reaction score
Well Tee-Cee, your not the only one struggling, I've joined the club, just returned from three pitiful days fishing on the Wye at Mordiford and also a stretch of water across a farmer's field on the edge of Hereford City recommended by a very helpful Woody's Tackle shop in town. Water levels were very low and clear and the Bailiff's comments on Saturday were that no one on the Hereford stretch was catching that day. I was trying for Chub and Barbel using cage feeder loaded with hemp, spicy groundbait and Halibut pellets on the hook, also tried boilies and meat but not even a touch. Put a few maggots on the hook to try and catch something and managed a tiny Trout and my pal had a smallish Grayling on the same bait.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Mike I have a number of pals who fished various sessions on the wye this past week. For example last night 3 pals had 3 barbel and 2 chub total.

It has been generally very poor in a tough season on the river.

This time of year generally is tops.

The odd few barbel have been coming out mainly from dusk but then only the odd couple so not the daily dozen one can expect.

Im there next week and at last some serious water expected.
Graham

Last edited:

mike938

Reaction score
Graham, after the rains I think you could be right, there should be some sport to be had, but I'm no expert on rivers, I'm still learning but enjoying every minute. I'm going to try the middle severn again, at least it's fairly local. Look forward to hearing how you get on. Mike

cg74

Reaction score
I'm not suggesting anyone is a bad angler, or anything else but every and I mean every summer endless anglers report poor catch returns especially on the bigger more prolific rivers - Severn, Wye etc

IMO the reason is simple; the barbel are very heavily pressured, so have become more nocturnal and also are not really hungry.
Roughly this time last year I fished the Wye in and around Hereford for 4 days.
Day one, being a lazy git I opted to fish just upstream from the pump house, the river was up and rising fast, I knew it'd be hard work fishing for barbel with all the leaves, branches and weed flying through, so I opted to fish for chub in the nearside.

Day two, I the river had dropped 2-3ft, so was only 6-7ft up. I looked at fishing downstream of the pump house but was greeted with a scene that closely resembled a match; every swim was either taken or had anglers on one or both sides. I chatted to a few anglers and they were all fishless, strangely though, all were fishing two rods, both down the nearside, so if I wanted to share the bank with countless others, I reckon a few fish would come from the far bank but I opted to go to a less pressured stretch.
Where I caught 12 barbel.

Day three, it felt to me that I hadn't fished very well the day before, my casting had been haphazard to put it mildly (my fault for sitting under a tree - doh!). So I chose to fish the same stretch as the previous day and fish it properly!
During the day, Andy one of the bailiffs stopped for a chat; no fish were caught on the pump house stretch the day before or yet that day. I caught twenty something barbel and my mate had three from 30 yards downstream of me, I think he got fed up of my constant text updates. As expected his three fish were all big 11-6, 10-12 and 9-14 (if I remember rightly).

My point is simple; fish come to anglers and anglers baits but by the same token shy away from pressure, so fish away from hoards of others, if you ain't catching - move and if you can, try to fish at first or last light.

If I look back to March this year, everyone I spoke to commented at how poor the fishing had been all winter on the Wye and it was a slow week for my three mates and me but the fish we caught from the Wye were certainly not struggling, some were portly, so had been feeding up on something..... I think it was a case of their feeding patterns never coincided with our fishing tendencies.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Much of what Colin says is very accurate. Especially regards moving swims.

Yes the fish are in find fettle but as with the Severn continued low water has meant the fish have not expended the energy to need to feed hard imo. Hoping for a decent weekend.