Some Thoughts on Barbel Baits

richiekelly

Reaction score
Nice article Sean and good to read some thoughts from an angler that thinks about his fishing rather than carry on with the same old methods that do still catch but might be improved upon.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"Sweeties".

Two years ago at his time of year, for a bet, I took a selection of little cherry tomatoes that were then in the garden with me to the local river, agreeing with my pal (who would be present) that, if I caught a barbel on one of them, he'd be buying me the first of several pints within twenty or so minutes of me returning the thing. Tomatoes in yellow, gold, various pinks and reds were in a clip-top plastic box on the bank and were being eaten by us fast until, after an hour fishing the hottest barbel swim I know, a barbel of just over 5 pounds snaffled a pink one.

Pub, please.

Reaction score
Good article Sean and I agree with you about the use of commercial baits. I have experimented a little with baits for barbel and I certainly seemed to catch well enough when making my own. Don't get me wrong, I have caught plenty of barbel on shop bought baits but for the larger specimens I think just a little of effort goes a long way! Homemade paste, for example, is always better than shop bought I feel, although Sonubaits do have some cracking shelf-life options!

However, I also feel that the use of groundbait approach doesn't always guarantees success with barbel. I have found that on some rivers, a switch from a groundbait approach to just using dry 3-4mm pellets in a block-end feeder will suddenly get results. Barbel can be just as wary of groundbait as they are of certain every day commercial baits.

It's always good to ring the changes as they say!

Tight Lines, Justin

barbelboi

Reaction score
A most enjoyable read Sean. I've never neglected lobs (or minnows early season) as I don't believe that many are using them.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Interesting article Sean and well written.

Strangely enough I have been using mainly groundbait in the feeder for the past 10 years, convinced it makes the barbel look for the odd bit of food on the bottom in the trail and brings the fish up from a long distance. It has worked very well for this period.

I advocate filling the feeder so it takes as long as 30 minutes to empty with a wet mix....One of the benefits is that it allows one to fish big rivers with less actual feeder weight, the feed making up the weight, and of course a hooked fish usually empties it making the fight more fun.

However.............

I have now changed to a small dry mix of bait sizes around the hookbait as it seems down south, they are now very wary of groundbait feeders!!

One Very important factor that you mention is bait size. Often a change of shape, despite being the same base mix really can make a difference.

So many anglers, forget that sometimes fish can become pre-occupied with bait size ignoring what seems a stand out probably larger sized bait.

Horses for courses, I suspect the smaller Southern fish, on say the Kennet or Loddon might, just might be a little more wary than the Bigger rivers, such as the Trent and Wye.

A good read.

Graham

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Another fine article Sean, really enjoyed it and found it quite thought provoking. I've always been a fan of different/odd shapes regardless of bait. This combination and similar worked very well when the individual baits didn't seem to:

013.jpg

Graham may well be right. Many years ago I often watched barbel enter the swim on the H. Avon & D. Stour and "slam on the brakes" or bolt away when they approached a feeder.

But last year I used a small cage feeder on the Loddon packed with a very pungent, fine "grain" groundbait. My thoughts were to create a trail to bring the barbel up from their typical haunts to a spot where I could actually fish for them. There they would find an amount of food to hold them and then, hopefully my hookbait. It worked really well for the period July - Sept but the river conditions were very favourable as a result of several summer floods.

This year is totally different (at least for me) and I've found big chunks of torn off meat (of various kinds) or a couple of 11mm pellets and very little feed of any kind working the best. Having said that I've had too many blanks, far fewer barbel but already more doubles than last year including a couple that have nudged near my best.

It's a long time since I've given barbel so much thought and it's the upper stretches of the Loddon that has proven to be the main reason!

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Neil, so glad you are enjoying my favourite river (though yet to fish it this season)

One thing you do learn on it.................................you have to wait and wait very often but the rewards can be BIG.

Graham

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Most definitely Graham!

I think I mentioned it a while a go - I only started fishing it last year so once again I am very late to the party. They're wily fish and I've "advanced" into the teens with a couple of stunners. Also revised my own belief of bigger residents having seen a couple of even weightier fish on the bank.

Interestingly, and perhaps more importantly, I've had a couple of 4lbers this year so there appears to be a good range of year classes. A challenging river that at the moment is looking a bit weary with it's very low levels but sports truly abundant weed and reed growth!

Fished it five times in the last week or so, 2 blanks, 3 single fish, all around 6/7 but very welcome. Slight change of tactics this morning as I got there to fish either side of dawn instead of evening into night (taking heed of a Welchy comment :cool:).

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Thanks chaps!

One thing I forgot to mention is that when you soak the pellets first (which I think is important) and then add groundbait to the water/pellet mix you need to add enough groundbait to get a very dry mix straight away. Trying to dry off a wet fishmeal mix nearly always results in a lumpy mess.

I've often been told that feeders can spook fish, but it's a problem I've not experienced. Medium Drennan Gripmesh feeders are fairly inconspicuous and I tend to use a long hook length, but maybe it's just the difference between fishing Northern spate rivers and rivers like the Lodden and Kennet.

An interesting comment about using a dry mix around the hook bait Graham. Do you squeeze a ball around the hook or use another method to get the feed in?

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Hi Sean. As mentioned been using the feeder with groundbait for about 10 years.

Different than you in that I use a mix such as damped hemp and hali ( before teme severn ultimate mix) and add a few pellets into the feeder each cast.

One big mistake many make is not to adjust the mix according to flow.
I always like to restrict the feeder emptying by the mix consistency.

I also use open end plastic, not cage feeders to help this.

Its still a very effective way to fish and the way I approach bigger rivers.

Using a shortish link my intention is to bring the fish up to the slowly leaking feeder thats dropping the odd larger bait. I have no fear fish recognise what a feeder is....

I do feel however that a heavy trail of bait going downstream on some pressured waters now days can have a negative effect.

On the smaller local waters im finding more success with a pva bag on the hook with a mixed size of hookers, changing bait size if getting indications but no pulls.

I wouldnt use pva bags on seriously flowing river.

Hope that explains.
Graham

john step

Reaction score
Agreed a change of bait size and shape can have good results. I believe also a hook skin can have similar advantages as I am convinced the barbel "taste" the metal of the hook with their sensitive barbules. I have used a product the French matchmen use to mould to imitate bloodworm called MYSTIQUE. It is translucent red . It comes in a and tube and is moulded into a blood worm shape on the hook. It seemed to work well on the trent at least.