Fox Warrior s Barbel rods?

jake182

Reaction score
Not got one myself but I've not heard a bad thing about them, good reliable rod, good price, a mate of mine swears by it

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
Would it be a bit too heavy for trotting for chub?

I can't speak specifically for the Fox rod in question (I've certainly not heard anything negative about them), but I would suggest that any barbel rod is not the right tool for any kind of trotting. Overly heavy (in action and weight) and the wrong action as far as I'm concerned. I have a small collection of heavier than usual float rods of various types. The heaviest action is one of 1lb 6oz TC, I consider that one to be way too brutal for normal chub fishing. It's used for barbel and double figure carp only.

The snag is that if you want a proper float rod, that's more powerful than the average match rod, they are relatively thin on the ground. That lack of option is exacerbated if you are looking for a rod shorter than 12'. There are plenty of pellet waggler rods out there that are 11' or less, but they generally don't have the action of a genuine trotting rod. However, if you can cope with a 13' rod, the Catana CATBXFL390 has a heavier action than the average float rod and larger double legged rings. It retains a proper float rod action but isn't too brutal. If you follow the link provided, it's available at a much reduced price (old stock). I have two of the more recent CX (CATCXFL390) versions, if it comes close to those, it will be spot on for trotting for chub.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have got the Fox Warrior XT Twin Tip Barbel 1.75lb and the Fox Warrior XT 14' Waggler rod and am delighted with them.

The barbel rod is 11' and has an Avon Tip and a more sensitive, white quiver tip. I think it's a great rod. I fish on the Severn for barbel with it with the Avon tip and it handles barbel in a big river really well.

I also use it, with an alarm setup, for PVA bagging or Method feeder for carp on mixed waters also with the Avon top, whilst I use the Fox Waggler down the side for tench.

The rod has coped more than adequately with lumps in the low doubles range.

I assume there will be very little difference, if any, between the 11' Warrior XT and the Warrior S, except for the additional quiver top.

I am not familiar with the 12ft version, but I prefer 11' for barbel fishing anyway.

The build and fittings, as you might expect from Fox, are good and I would have no hesitation in recommending my rod to anyone.

porphyrios

Reaction score
I thought they might be too heavy, just a thought. There are a couple of new Avon rods out there that look good on paper: Greys Prodigy Specimen 1lb 11ft and the Wychwood Solace Classic Avon also 11ft with a 1.25tc. The Wychwood looks very nice and is a fair bit cheaper but cant find any feedback on it.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I thought they might be too heavy, just a thought. There are a couple of new Avon rods out there that look good on paper: Greys Prodigy Specimen 1lb 11ft and the Wychwood Solace Classic Avon also 11ft with a 1.25tc. The Wychwood looks very nice and is a fair bit cheaper but cant find any feedback on it.

Again, I'd suggest that an Avon rod for trotting is less than optimal for the method. The action of such rods is usually far too through to make for a good trotting rod. I'd accept such a rod as a very occasional, last resort, float rod, in a multi-function way, but not as a specific trotting tool.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think you are asking for the moon on a stick trying to find one rod that will leger for barbel and trot for chub too. Best bite the bullet and get a 1.5 or 1.75lb Avon-type rod for the barbel and another, minimum 13ft preferably longer, for trotting.

robtherake

Reaction score
If it's a short rod you're after, have you considered rods like the Middy Micro-Muscle, or any of the other short float rods offered by most firms now.

nicepix

Reaction score
Would it be a bit too heavy for trotting for chub?

It would probably be too heavy for trotting for barbel.

Trotting rods tend to be tip actioned to allow fast line pick up on the strike whereas Avon type rods are more tip to middle action.

porphyrios

Reaction score
Some good points there on the rod action, I was kina hoping that a 1.25lb avon rod would be a jack of all trades for my fishing but maybe two different rods is the answer.

gingerbeard

Reaction score
I have the Fox Warrior S 11ft rod, which I use for small river ledgering and also as a method feeder rod on my local carp pond.

Good rod and excellent value for money, but only really suitable for fishing on the bottom.

The John Wilson Avon rod, may be a better all rounder for you, and I think they may have a barbel version.

GB