floodwater baits

Reaction score
hi all.
Doing an overnighter with a mate on the trent on tuesday,im guessing the river will still be well up and have a lot of colour in especially if we get some more rain.
I have only fished the trent once before in these conditions and only managed 1 chub.
What i would like to know is apart from the usual meat what other baits should i be taking with me?
Was thinking of trying some braising steak and nice fishiy bolies and would like to know if thats the sort of thing i should be going with?
Any ideas would be good thanks guys

E

EC

Do an articlesearch mate, Lee Swords and othershave done some excellent pieces on this very subject!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Two pieces of meat around 40cm cubed. Slide them down the hooklink and impale them on a size 4.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Old 8mm boilies left on the hair from 3 weeks ago cracked and dried out sometimes work./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Andy B

Reaction score
Golf ball sized lump of cheese paste or halibut pellet paste for me!

Reaction score
ok guys thanks for all your input, i was thinking of some chilli meat or something along those lines.i remember lee's article but i was pushed for time as had to go to the mother in laws so just posted in the forum so i could check now im home.
MMh now theres an idea, a big chunk of mother in law? might not catch but im sure it would be fun! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Rich Jones

Reaction score
People always talk about using big baits in high water, but what if the target fish are only 3-6lb? will they still take a 4cm cube of meat?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Yep. A barbel's mouth will extend quite far. I've had loads of small barbel (10oz to 1.5lbs) on such baits.

DEAN ASTON

Reaction score
What you can so you got a lot of smell in the river is usea grip lead and use meat paste round the lead then meat on the hook i had some good days fishing like this on the severn

DEAN ASTON

Reaction score
oh you also find when you use size that Matt use you have rod taps this is fish eating the meat so the 14 cm will not always be the size the barbel have taken . Just wait till the rod tip wraps round !

Reaction score
ok guys went on tuesday night.Meat onone rod and prawn /shrimp boiles on the other.No barbel but mate had carp of 13lb 14oz and one of12lb.Both on the boilies.
Thanks for the advice,cant wait to get out again

F

Fred Bonney

Paul, lobworms and big chunks of PLM, I use a quarter of a big tin!

D

Dave Burr

On the Wye over the last few days boilie seems to have outscored pellet and a wrap of cheesepaste has brought some good chub and barbel also.

I don't think you need a massive bait to get a bite, fish are adept at finding quite small food items in any conditions. My best barbel came in flood condition on a low flavoured 14mm boilie.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I've been told half a tin of garlic spam does the trick in the floods /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif