Barbel Fishing - 'Mr Average' Goes Large

B

binka

A great article Phil... and to do it all on the glorious 16th eh?

One to remember for a lifetime, well done mate :w

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Lovely report Phil - it reminded me a bit of, well me! Big rivers & powerful Barbel are well out of my still water comfort zone. I still remember loosing one on the Severn decades ago on a hopelessly under-gunned quiver tip. Since coming back to the fishing fold, I've had a couple of sessions on the Ribble with a far more experienced mate (& more appropriate kit!) - still haven't landed any (apart from a 2lb still water one, by chance), but I do feel I'm making a little progress... 'til the next trip.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I enjoyed that immensely a lovely read and a lovely couple of days fishing !

Reaction score
Thanks. Great read Phil. Pleased with your success. AND a reminder that many lasting friendships come out of these forums.

Time to start pestering Del and Corkers for a trip or two up to the Ribble....or the Severn...or the Wye!!!

lambert1

Reaction score
To quote my namesake I am made up for you mate, well done! I have never actually gone after Barbel yet as they were not around in any numbers when I fished in my youth and I do not feel experienced enough yet, not having dealt with anything much over 4lb and I would hate to cause any fish injury through my negligence or inexperience but I will one day and am inspired by your adventure! I have watched many videos on barbel and know the importance of resting them before release and just after capture and the need for this became only too apparent to me today as where I was working there were two beautiful brown trout expiring in the shallows (not in the same place) that I suspect were released too soon after capture, as there was no sign of bird injury or pollution. Anyway, well done again and a very well written and entertaining article.

aebitim

Reaction score
Thanks. Great read Phil. Pleased with your success. AND a reminder that many lasting friendships come out of these forums.

Time to start pestering Del and Corkers for a trip or two up to the Ribble....or the Severn...or the Wye!!!

Phil and I fish like winkrs, delighted that Phil got the monkey out, didnt want to catch too many as the post spawning skinny thing put the brakes on, bit ****** off with with the barbed hook comment from the editor, further down the the river have caught good number of large fish with all sorts of **** hanging out of them, only one has had a barbless hook still atached.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Thank you all for your kind comments. It was a thoroughly memorable couple of days. Glad you all enjoyed it (hopefully, as much as I did writing and remembering it)!!

Best Regards to all :) Phil.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Lovely read about a lovely spot!! Well done, nothing quite like it when the rod goes over.....

Skoda

Reaction score
Great read Phil, and well done on cracking the barbel voodoo. Very well written, I seemed to be with you every step of the way. Let's hope for many more barbel for you, but you need to work a bit on your 'trophy' smile.

Many thanks

Andy:)

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Andy,

I'll have you know, good Sir, it's taken me years to perfect my "completely stunned - did I do that??" Look....:)

All the best, mate - and thanks for your kind words,

Phil

Darren Broadhurst

Reaction score
Great article, well done. Been wanting to fish that river myself having only ever done the Kennet.